sixteen

I sit in a small cafe with a book in my hand. The California sun beats onto my skin through the window I'm sat next to. I take another sip from my latte as I turn the page. The book isn't super interesting, but it's the first one I saw with an intriguing cover. I feel a tap on my shoulder and I look over to see a tall man with big brown eyes.

He nervously smiles at me, "Hey...I'm Chip." I watch as he extends his hand to me and I excitedly take it in mine.

"Dahlia." I return his smile.

"Like the flower," I watch as he motions to the seat in front of me, "is this seat taken?"

I shake my head before he takes a seat. He's cute when he's nervous. Almost childlike.

"What brings you to California?" Chip asks me and I furrow my eyebrows.

"What makes you think I'm not from here?" I tease and I watch him as he tries to find something to say.

I let out a laugh, "I'm here for a fresh start."

Chip flashes me his perfect smile that I know all too well no matter how hard we try to act like we're strangers, "Same here."

This is how it should've been. This is how it will be. A clean slate for the both of us. We're both strangers new to California who were meant to be. Two wannabe strangers that love each other so much, and will forever be bonded due to our past actions. That's behind us though. Something we no longer have to worry about.

I love Chip, and Chip loves me. That's all that matters.