two

Today is day three of job searching, and I finally got lucky today. I was able to score a cashier job at the local grocery store, which is convenient because I also get a discount there. I'm basically a genius at this point, and to think that Robbie used to say I wouldn't make it out on my own.

Well, look at me now cock sucker!

Am I living in a shitty motel room? Yes, but I have a job. Do I have trouble falling asleep because at any moment I think Robbie could burst through the poorly made wooden door? Absolutely, but I have a job. That's all that matters right now. I'm so much closer to starting a new life. A life I can be proud of, and maybe my mom will start talking to me again once I'm established. She stopped talking to me when I told her Robbie and I were going to move in together. She said I was throwing away my bright future for him, and she was right. I could've gone to college out of state, instead I stayed for him and went to a community college. Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with community colleges, but I ended up dropping out because of Robbie.

I could've made a life for myself, and now I'm here. If I could go back in time I would listen to her. Then I wouldn't be scared for my life, and I'd still have my mom. We were so close. I don't blame her for it though. I would come home with bruises all the time, and get mad at her for trying to save me. What else was she supposed to do? I did this to myself. I take full responsibility. I just wish I hadn't been so stupid.

I pack makeup over my bruises for my first day of work. They're starting to fade, but not enough to be in public and not get stares. I hate seeing the pity in their eyes. I'm such a cliche.

I step out of my room and lock it behind me. I look over to see Chip outside peering over the balcony with his elbows on the metal railing.

"Thinking about jumping?" I smirk, and he lets out a laugh.

"I'll wait until you're out of the parking lot. Don't worry." He says sarcastically before looking at me. He still looks like shit.

"You look better." He states before he stands up fully. I watch as he makes himself appear taller even though he is already tall. I read somewhere that men tend to do that if they're interested in you.

"You don't." I smile and he rolls his eyes. Chip looks down at my uniform and raises his eyebrows.

"Look at you. Off to work?"

I look down at my khakis and white button down that's covered in a khaki vest with my name tag. Almost like a girl scout who refuses to move on. I look incredibly stupid, but I've worked at places with dumber uniforms.

"First day!" I say proudly and gesture towards the outfit. Chip nods his head and purses his lips.

"Well, good luck Dahlia. Maybe I'll come see you at the," His eyes squint to read the embroidered label on the vest, "Farm Barn?" The name comes out as a question.

I don't know who decided Farm Barn was a good name for a grocery store, but it's Texas. What else do you expect?

"You should. Our steaks are currently on sale." I laugh and begin to walk down the stairs to my car.

"What a bargain!" He lets out a hearty laugh. I like his laugh. It's genuine.

I wave him a small goodbye, and I get in my car. Don't get a crush on him, Dahlia.

Ugh, but he's so cute.

You need to stop trying to fix every broken boy you run into. You can't fix them all, and it's so draining. You just need to let him figure his own shit out.

Chip doesn't seem like Robbie. Are there blatant red flags? Yes, but who doesn't have red flags? I'm sure I look like the billboard for red flags, and underneath in bold letters it's says, 'Damaged goods. Move on.'

I can't be stupid. I need to learn from my mistakes. I don't need two dudes hunting me down right now.

-

My first day wasn't bad, although an old lady got angry and threw two bags of granola at me when I told her the coupons she gave me were expired. Then, my manager ended up accommodating to her anyway. Which pissed me off, but I just have to keep reminding myself that this is just the journey. I will get where I need to be. I just have to deal with a few speed bumps along the way. I did still end up calling her a bitch.

I tiredly walk up the steps to my room and Chip is rushing out with a hamper of clothes. I give him a small smile, but he stops me.

"You got any dirty laundry?"

Boy, you don't even know.

"Yeah, the literal and figurative kind. Why?" I ask and push my key into my door. I wonder if he works. I barely ever hear or see him leave.

He chuckles to himself, "Do you maybe wanna come down and do laundry together?"

My mind flashes to an episode of Friends when Ross asks Rachel the same thing. Maybe he's my Ross. I hate Ross though.

"Um, yeah. I just need to change and gather some things up...you want to come in?" I gesture to my room and he excitedly nods his head. We both walk in and I go to the bathroom to change before I gather my clothes. I close the bathroom door behind me, so I can have some privacy.

"How was your first day?" Chip calls out. I smile at him remembering.

"It could've been better, but it pays well." I tell him as I pull on a black tee. He's quiet again. I'm assuming he's thinking of something else to say, but I'm already walking out of the bathroom with my hamper.

"Ready?" He asks and I nod my head.

The walk to the community washer and dryer is silent. I don't mind it though. I'm comfortable around Chip. Maybe too comfortable. He doesn't seem dangerous though, like he wouldn't even be able to hurt a fly. What if that's his thing? His ploy?

I let out a sigh when I see both the washer and dryer are out of order, and they're the only ones. This place really is a shit hole.

"There's a laundromat down the street. I could drive us." He looks down at me. I stay quiet to think.

What if Robbie is doing this? Should I go to a laundromat with a stranger at night? God, I wish I didn't have to live my life constantly worried if this is a part of Robbie's master plan.

"I'll drive." At least that gives me a little control over the situation. He can't kidnap me if I'm driving. Can he? No, he doesn't have a gun.

Chip just shrugs his shoulders and follows me to my car. I unlock it and we load our dirty laundry into the backseat. He's easy going. Robbie wasn't easy going.

I put my car in reverse and begin to pull out of the motel parking lot. We're quiet, but Chip decides to break the silence.

"Why do you have a gun?" He asks it so casually.

I feel my mouth dry and my arm pits begin to sweat. Did he look through my drawer? I knew that was a stupid place to put it, but I didn't expect anyone to go through it. What if he took it? Jesus Christ, what if he has it on him? I can't believe he is gonna beat Robbie to the punch.

"Why did you look through my stuff?" I look over at him through the corner of my eye. He's just calmly looking out the front window. Why is he so calm about killing me?

"I don't know...I'm just nosey." He shrugs and looks over at me. What do I say?

"Oh well, um, you know, I'm a girl traveling alone. It can get dangerous." I quickly spit out and Chip stays silent.

"Are you in danger, Dahlia?" I feel him staring at me again. Yes, incredibly.

"What makes you think that?" I question him and I watch him play with his fingers.

"The bruises, you're really jumpy and nervous all the time, and you have a gun."

Wow, I really haven't been playing it as cool as I thought I was. It's like I want everyone to know I'm being chased. What if Chip could help me? No. Don't depend one anyone.

"It's...It's a long story." That seems like the only thing I can say. I don't really think going full in detail of my past is really a laundromat discussion.

I see Chip nod his head in the corner of my eye. He seems to get it. I appreciate him not pushing. I need that right now.