four

Today is my day off, and I hate it. I need to save up as much money as I can before I have to leave, and now I'm just wasting my time. I even tried to pick up shifts, but nobody wanted to give theirs up. I should have enough to at least get me to Arizona, and then I can hide out there. Luckily, I get paid tomorrow so I should be able to leave after that. I hope I can. I feel like a sitting duck in this motel room just waiting for him to find me. How do I tell Chip I'm leaving? Should I just leave in the middle of the night and not say anything? God, that would hurt him so much, but if I tell him he'll just try to come with me. Would it be so bad if he did? Yes, it would. You need to keep track of yourself, and not someone else.

I lay on my side and close my eyes. I need to get some sleep. I haven't been able to at night, so I should at least try to during the day. The exhaustion seeps into my body, and I can finally relax.

-

I wake up to my stomach rumbling. I look over at the digital clock on my night stand and I see it's almost two in the morning. Jesus, I wanted to take a nap not a full nine hour slumber. Everything is closed, and I have no food here. I could get some snacks from the vending machine. That actually sounds like a good idea.

I grab my wallet and keys before I walk out. I walk past the many rooms on my floor and turn a corner to get to the vending machine. It's surprisingly fully stocked. I obtain the snacks and drinks I want, and head back to my room. I stop in my tracks when I hear a familiar voice calling my name. I feel my stomach drop, and my body begins to shake.

How did he find me?

I peek around the corner to see Robbie banging on my door, and screaming for me to open it. I'm stuck here. He's blocking the only staircase leading the parking lot. There's no way I can get to my car without walking directly past him. Even if I tried, I've learned many times that I can't fight him off. I know Robbie won't leave for hours. He'll wait out there for as long as he can. What if he searches the floor? There's nowhere for me to hide.

My body freezes up when I feel an arm wrap around my body, and a hand placed over my mouth. Who did he bring with him? Robbie finally gets what he wanted, and I know he won't let me have a quick death. He'll drag it on because I ran.

"It's okay, Dahlia. It's Chip."

Tears prick my eyes from relief. How did he get out without Robbie finding him?

I turn around and I'm met with his calming brown eyes, "There's a window in my bathroom. I can hide you in there until he leaves. I just need you to be quiet, okay?" He whispers and I nod my head. I follow him to his room and I look up to see the open window. I lightly place my snacks inside before Chip helps me through it. I pull myself into the room and lightly place my feet onto the tank of the the toilet before stepping off onto the floor. Chip follows suit and I watch as he hurriedly closes and locks the window.

Thank god for Chip. I don't even care how he knew I was out here, I'm just so glad I'm not out in the open anymore. Robbie's banging and shouting is even louder now which doesn't comfort me. I look into Chip's room to see all the lights off, so it just looks like a vacant motel room.

Chip looks at me and his eyes soften at my state, "You're okay. I won't let him get to you." He takes my shaky hands and squeezes them.

"Thank you." I quietly cry before embracing him in a hug. I feel his tight grip around me, and I almost feel safe. I always feel safe around him for some reason.

Chip pulls away, "We can't let him know anyone is in here, so you'll have to stay in the bathroom. It's the safest place for you right now. I'm gonna go and grab some blankets and pillows for you, okay?"