seven

I see in the corner of my eye Chip's eyes beginning to droop as he drives. I'm starting to think my car would've been a better idea, so that he could take a break and get some rest.

"Hey, Chip? There's a motel at the next exit. Why don't you get some sleep?" I turn my body towards him, and he starts trying to blink away the tiredness. I know he's going to be stubborn about it by his body language.

"I'm fin-"

"You're about to fall asleep at the wheel." I cut him off and he lets out a sigh before he pulls off onto the exit. I smirk at my success.

Chip instructs me to stay in the car while he pays for the night, and I'm assuming it's because of what happened the last time I left the car without him. Speaking of that, my cheek is slightly bruised with a little bit of swelling. Most likely because I didn't hold the cold water bottle on my face long enough. I didn't think the man hit me hard enough to leave to a mark, but here I am. Although, he didn't come close to as hard Robbie would've hit me.

We haven't seen any sign of Robbie since we left, but I know not to get too comfortable with that. He could pop up at any moment just like the last time. Chip and I just have to be smarter this time around.

I jump slightly when I hear him knock on the window signaling that the room is ready. I step out and help him carry our bags up to our room. It's a lot nicer then the last place we were staying at. It looks like this one at least gets cleaned regularly. I look around and notice the single king sized bed in the room. I'm not bothered at all by us sharing a bed I like falling asleep in Chip's arms.

We haven't spoken about that night at all since it happened. We haven't even mentioned the kiss between us. I don't know if it's because we have bigger things to worry about or if it was just a one time thing because we were stressed out. I wish I knew how he felt about it. Personally, I haven't been able to stop thinking about how his lips felt on mine. They sent an electric shock through my body and I've never experienced that with anyone else. He was so gentle with me.

Chip informs me that he's going to take a shower and I decided I'll take one in the morning. I just want to sleep laying down in a bed and not upright in the passenger seat of his car which is incredibly uncomfortable. I pull on some sleeping clothes and get underneath the covers. The motel room is surprisingly freezing and I can feel the goosebumps spread across my body as the air conditioning intensifies. I tried to turn the air off, but I'm assuming I didn't do it correctly or it just simply doesn't work.

I lay on my side and lean over to turn off the lamp on my side of the bed. I pull the covers up to my chin, and close my eyes. I hear a noise outside the window and my eyes fly open. I let out a sigh of relief when I see the silhouette of a couple walking by through the thin curtains. I just need to relax and go to sleep. It's so simple, yet so challenging.

I hear the bathroom door open and Chip walking out. He shuffles around for a bit longer until I feel the bed dip down from his weight. Chip flicks the light off and without hesitation wraps his arms around my body pulling me closer to him. A smile crosses my face as he presses a kiss to my shoulder. My stomach erupts with butterflies. At least I know the feelings I'm developing are being returned, but do I really want to start something with him right now? My heart is telling me yes, but my mind keeps listing all of the awful outcomes. I don't know anymore. I'll just figure it out when I cross that bridge.