twelve

"I think you we're supposed to take that exit." I state as I watch the sign go by. Chip quickly looks behind us and let's out an agitated sigh. We've been in Nevada for two days now, and it's basically just like Texas. It's just desert and sometimes a random town that looks like it's straight out of an old western movie.

Chip pulls off onto the next exit and pulls into another motel, "I'm not in the mood to drive anymore tonight." He tells me and I nod my head. Again, I wish we took my car. I don't think Robbie has been following us and we could've taken shifts driving. It would've made things so much easier and we could've saved more money by not stopping at so many motels.

Chip and I quickly gather our things back up after he pays. This has quickly become our new routine. I sit on the bed and look out the window to see a cute twenty-four hour diner. I hear my stomach grumble when I see a waitress drop off a stack of pancakes to a customer. I guess Chip followed my gaze due to him taking my hand and leading me out the door. We quickly cross the empty street and walk into the restaurant. A smile spreads across my face when the smell of food overcomes my senses. We're seated at a booth in the corner by a kind elderly waitress.

I gaze over the menu and decide I want chocolate chip pancakes, bacon, and eggs. We've only been stopping for food at places with drive thru's and I never thought I'd be so excited to eat a real meal.

"Hey, Dahlia?" Chip breaks the silence and I look up at from the menu. He looks nervous which makes me feel nervous. What is he about to say? Did I do something to upset him?

"I love you." His eyebrows raise in realization, and my heart skips a beat. A laugh escapes my lips in relief. This whole time I was so worried he didn't feel the same way meanwhile he's been going through the exact same thing I have.

"I love you too, Chip."

The biggest smile I've ever seen crosses his face and his cheeks redden, "Thank God, I was so nervous."

Another laugh comes out of me as he takes my hand in his. This is really it. Chip and me against the world living our best lives. I wouldn't want it any other way. I loved this man and have since I met him. He's changed my life astronomically in the short time we've known each other and I'll forever be grateful for that.

Soon, the same elderly woman that sat us is placing the food we ordered in front of us. I smile widely at the stack of food in front of me. It doesn't even look real it's so perfect. I take a large bite of my pancakes and I'm in heaven. I haven't had pancakes in so long this is pure bliss.

Chip and I finished our food quickly due to how tasty it was and we walked back to our room hand in hand. We're safe. Chip and I are okay. All of my worries have subsided. I never thought I'd be where I am now, and I'm so unbelievably happy.

Chip feels like home. I can be myself around him and I feel like I belong. He accepts me for who I am. I never thought I'd find a love like this, but I'm so thankful that I have.