Chapter 6

Hey Guys! Sorry for being inactive. I've been on vacation so I haven't had a chance to update.I'll try and update more often when I have the chance and keep voting and commenting.     Anyways, on with this story✌️

////////////////////////////////

3rd Person

The picnic idea went great... kind of. The two boys got to spend some 'alone time'.  However, instead of them reminiscing with a far away loom in their eyes, they came back soaking wet and grumpy. When Gwaine went talk to them and ask about their day (even though he was there, he had to fake ignorance) and why they were soaking wet, he was pulled up by his feet and dangled from the air (thanks to Merlin's magic reacting to mood) and was there for nearly half an hour.

So now it was Gwaine's turn to get them together.  He walked down the hall to Arthur's chambers. He remembered how when Gwen first died, the air and the atmosphere brought even his chipper, slightly drunk, mood down. Now it was getting better due to the fact it's been 4 months since the funeral. He knocked twice before hearing a muffled 'come in'. When he opened the door, he saw Arthur sitting on his desk looking at some paper work while Merlin walked around cleaning up.

"Hey princess, what are you doing?" He asked still standing in the door frame.

"Trying to get the riots in order. They've died down now because some of them have seen that magic can be good, but there are still some people rioting," The king replied still not looking at the knight.

"Seems like you need a break. How about we go to the tavern. Just you and me... and Merlin," The drunkard knight suggested. The warlock looked over at Gwaine.

"Sure, as long as this prat doesn't give me too many chores to do,"Shrugging his shoulders and then immediately went back to whatever he was doing. Easy part done, now to convince the king to accept.

"Absolutely not. I have too much paper work to do. Also, the last time I took a break, the kingdom was in such disarray I had paperwork flooding my desk, I was only gone for 6 hours,"

"Oh come on, please!? I mean, you always pay when I go so you're paying for drinks you don't even drink them. Come on just this once...please?" Gwaine complained / asked Arthur, trying his best to imitate Merlin's puppy dog eyes that always work on Arthur.

"Fine, but the next time we go hunting, no tavern stories. Deal? Also, stop doing that with your face, you look weird," Said Arthur, stretching out his hand.

"Deal!" Said Gwaine shaking his hand. A small price to pay for a greater cause. He left the room and the boys ruffled hair and swollen, red lips went unnoticed.

////////////////////////////////

The sunset in Camelot creating an orange hue in the sky.  Arthur actually managed to complete most of his paperwork for the day on time and Merlin managed to complete all his chores for both Gaius and Arthur. The two boys left Arthur's chambers and headed toward The Rising Sun. They walked down the street in a comfortable silence and and got nearer to their destination, where Gwaine was standing there waiting.

"Hey guys! I'm so glad that you agreed to come. I'm always alone so it's nice to spend the night with my friends," Gwaine said, opening the door to the tavern. Music that was recently muffled became clearer and louder.

"After you, my royal pratness," Said Merlin, stepping to the side and exaggerated a bow. The king rolled his eyes at his manservant but stepped inside anyways, followed by Merlin and then by Gwaine who had a malicious grin that either boys missed.

////////////////////////////////

It has been 3 hours since they started the night. Gwaine had so far "drunk" the most but still seem sober. Now the reason the other two boys was because of his experience he could handle larger amount of alcohol before the substance got into his system. The real reason was actually because he hadn't drunk at all.

~Flashback~
~Earlier that day~

It was another 'Merthur Matchmaking Club' meeting and the knights present were discussing the plan of action. They all agreed that if this plan was going to work, Gwaine was going to have to be sober. Gwaine , albiet reluctantly, agreed. And that was two things he lost in 1 day. This felt like a scam.

~End Of Flashback~

So here they were, a drunk king and his manservant and a (RELUCTANTLY)sober knight. All in the name of love.

"Hey~, ya'now what wo'ld be hilari's?" Said the usually drunken knight, slurring his words.

"Wha~?" Replied both the king and the manservant. Here it is, the moment of truth.

"If you two~" he pointed to the two boys that sat opposite each other "li'e kissed or som'thin," he said while the smashing this two fingers together.

"I me'n, it would't be THAT cra'y," Slurred Merlin.

"Then d0 it. It'll be fun" said the knight. The two boys looked at each other, shrugging their shoulders. They stood up, and Arthur put his hand on Merlins shoulder. The entire tavern was looking now. It wasn't hard to see the knights plan to get them together. Every body knew, except Arthur and Merlin. They leaned over the table. Both boys closed their eyes. They were so close they could feel each other's breath against their lips. Closer and closer until-

"SIRE!" The door flew open and there stood a knight. The men scrambled backwards and the people looking turned the gazes back to their drinks, some what disappointed. Gwaine looked at the knight and then at the two boys who were so close.

"There is a woman that requests to see you for an urgent matter,"

"Well, show her a room and I'll see her in the morning," Arthur said waving his hand to the knight to signal to him to go.

"Also with that, I think I'm going to retire back to the castle," Declared the king, pushing himself up.

"What! No, wait! What about the-the funny thing! You and him kissing! Come on!" Rambled the knight. They were so close.

"Gwaine, thank you for tonight but I've got to sleep this off for the massive head ache I've got coming in the morning. And I've got to see this woman,"

"But-"

"I think Imma retire too,". Gwaine whips his head to the other man.

"But-"

"I suggest you do too," The king said as he put his hand on Gwaine shoulder. He paid for their drinks and him and Merlin left, leaving Gwaine standing there with his jaw dropped.

"But you guys were about to kiss,"