Chapter Eight

“Did you hear?” Lillian was saying this while Mrs. Chidebere was teaching oral English on the whiteboard.

“What?” I whispered.

/J/ for ‘y’ in yes, I noted in my notebook.

“Amanda's boyfriend cheated on her. Guess who?” she said.

/ø/ for ‘th’ in thank, I noted.

“Who?” I whispered.

“Rachel! That sickle cell girl in SS1,” she continued.

/mɑːkɪt/ for market, I noted.

“Who?” I asked again.

“Are you even listening?” she asked.

“Are you applying for the chemistry competition?” I asked.

“Why are you asking? Do you want to apply?” she asked.

“I don't know.”

“Well, the deadline is long overdue. We are having the selection exam tomorrow after school,” she said.

“Okay,”

“Don't tell me you're thinking of applying.” She poked me in the ribs.
I took my eyes away from the teacher for a second and pushed her hand away.

“Don't touch me.”

I saw her bewildered face before I turned my attention back to the teacher. During recess, Amaka and the others sat around me. I drank my ribena and continued to tear into my chicken.

“Odi, you forgot to share your mum's food yesterday. My mum didn't come because of her health, and dad's too busy to come like usual.” Amaka said.

I wanted to look up at her and laugh. She's been making fun of me lately, and now she wants me to share my mum's food with her like old times. She's must be more stupid than the stupidest fool on earth.

I chewed on my piece of chicken before swallowing it. I saved the last chicken mum brought, not because I wanted to give Amaka, but because I wanted to eat it again. I really miss mum's cooking.

“Amaka, I was an animal last week. An animal can never shed its skin. We remain animals forever.” I said.

“Oh...” she laughed. “You are really hung up on that little joke. I never called you an animal. You are just a sex addict, not an animal.”

"Oh, I know. Thanks for reminding me. Animals don't share. My species is a dog. We bury our bones. I buried my mum's food.” I smiled at her as I took another bite from my chicken.

“Did you guys hear the rumor?” Josephine cut in.

“You mean about Rachel? I hope she chokes on her food. How can she hurt her senior like that?” Miriam said.

“Probably like we do here.” I said.

“Meaning?” Amaka asked.

“Threesome? Foursome? Exchanges? We girls sleep around with anyone. No one is anyone's partner, and everyone just goes to the best pleaser. We are just cheating on each other.” I paused and thought about it, “Or should we call it that? We are just horny.”

“Don't compare me to you. We are not the same,” Amaka said.

Her eyes were furrowed as she glared at me.

"Oh, I am not. But the others can confirm how many girls you've slept with. Can't you, girls?” I turned to the others, but they were busy stuffing their faces, pretending like I hadn't said anything.

I shrugged and continued eating.

“What is wrong with you, Odi?” Lillian asked.

“What?”