Chapter Nine

I was staring at the ceiling as I lay on my bed. Different scenarios were running through my mind, and I was numb to the room temperature or the sounds of a ruffling sheet.

We slept in bunks, and at the time, I and Amaka had just met, and we didn't know much about ourselves. Bushy tailed and bubbly attitude led us to play rock, paper, and scissors to choose who would stay in the top bunk, and I won.

We continued this tradition into the senior hall, and we were really close until the lesbian club did something to her psyche.

Everything is not making sense to me.

When did it all go wrong?

Amaka opened the window and sneaked out, and I was watching her. I didn't alert anyone, nor did I make a move to stop her.

I felt like if I followed her, I would see something bad again, and I would blunt it out while we were together in the cafeteria.

Besides, I was too lazy to stand up anyway. I laid down on the bed and kept staring at the ceiling.

But soon, I got bored and decided to go outside.

Besides, what are the odds that I'll catch Amaka doing anything?

I was wrong.

Just inside the gateman's cubicle, I caught the most bizarre position I've seen through the window. I don't have to paint a picture for anyone to know what she's been up to.

The watchman and her were having a good time with her gown ridden up, her body on the small wooden table, and her legs wrapped around his waist, and he was thrusting into her.

A normal person would leave the scene and pretend like they didn't see anything, but I wasn't normal. I knocked on the window, frightening the little copulation going on.

I waved at them and smiled.

The watchman immediately pulled out and started wearing his trousers. Amaka was more dignified.

She stood up, picked up her pant, and wore it while pulling her gown down. She came out and faced me.

She folded her arms and asked,
"What is it, Odi?"

The watchman scurried away like a mouse, and I looked at him.

"You couldn't find a better man? Really?" I said as I stared at the sleazy old man, "He's twice your age, Amaka, and a coward. He couldn't defend you himself. He just ran away."

"You have no right to criticize my taste in men right now." Amaka said.

"And you always called me an animal." I mumbled offhandedly.

"Don't compare me to you. You're not on my level, Odinma. You are disgusting, and you have no sense of loyalty or tact." she said, almost shouting on top of her voice.

"What did I do to you? I'm warning you in case of pregnancy in the near future or STD. You don't know what you are doing to yourself." I said, a lot calmer than she is.

She hissed and said,
"Look who's talking. Adanne told me everything. You broke that hole, snuck out, and hung out with men twice your age, and you're berating me on my choices. At least, I didn't go looking for active STDs."

I looked at her for a while and said,
"She said that?"

"Don't deny it, Odinma. I know you," she said.

I laughed and said,
"Check your sources, Amaka, before you start gossiping. It should be beneath you." I said.

"You are one to talk. You know you made me like this, right?" she said.

Nice approach.

"Really?" I mumbled sarcastically, "So unfortunate of me."

"Oh, shut it!" she exclaimed. "Cynthia liked you, and you knew, but you took advantage of her. But I liked her. I liked her, and yet she didn't look at me. She was looking at you, and now you've broken her heart. I felt like if I did it with a man, it would feel like I was cheating on Cynthia, but I... I got addicted. He was on another level. I just..." She burst out crying, and I didn't know what to do.

She blew her nose and said,
"At this point, getting pregnant seems like a bonus point to me, if it will get Cynthia's attention."

"How old is that girl anyway?"

I was surprised by my outburst.

Where did that come from?

"I've been talking to you, and so far, that's all you can say."

I didn't say anything.

I turned around and wanted to walk away when she said,
"Sixteen. She's sixteen. Just a year younger than me and you."

It was obvious, wasn't it?

That was the question I asked myself as I walked back to the dorms.

I laid on the bed and remembered how Cynthia behaved. She was never a small girl; she was just a big girl in a small class.

Assembly started earlier than usual the next day, and I knew something was off when the principal started her announcement. She called the names of everyone in senior 3, a few students in senior 2, including me, Amaka, and all my friends, a few in senior 1, and Cynthia from junior 1.

As I looked at our bandwagon-those that were strangers to me and those that were not-I had a vague idea of why we were called.

My belief was solidified when I saw Dr. Anayo walking down the opposite corridor, his head down as he gripped his briefcase. He looked like the shell of an old man looking for sympathy or pity.

His shoulders were droopy, and he was shuffling his feet as he walked down the corridor. Once in a while, he would look up but would quickly look down and continue to watch his feet while dragging them.

He made it so blatantly obvious that I felt like slapping him on the back of his head. I looked away and watched as one of the students entered the principal's office.

One by one, they all came out with a blank look on their faces. Their faces were devoid of any emotion. A few were expressionless, while a few burst into tears upon opening the door, or they were crying before they opened the door.

Senior 3 students were waiting downstairs for their turn. The principal had decided to address them separately.

I watched everyone and thought about what would happen when it was my turn.

Will I be suspended or expelled?

By now, I knew that everyone was going to be either expelled or they might probably miss one term or a whole school session, if the principal was being nice.

Life at school has ended as we know it, and as I thought about it, I wondered why I hated the school.

Why was I bored?

What happened to me?

What will happen to me if I get expelled?

What will the principal say?

Will she think I am the victim or the perpetrator?

Should I just tell her it's a mutual agreement?

Maybe I should shut it down and pretend like I am innocent.

It's sad, really. Knowing that the end is near and pondering over all you did to get yourself to that point.

At this point, I just wanted to get over it.

I was fidgeting, and I felt restless. I couldn't wait as I stared at the line in front of me.

Can I jump a line?

Soon, it got to me, and as I placed my hand on the door knob, I said a silent prayer and went into the office.