twenty one │closure and forgiveness

"Autumn!" I hear a voice call and turn to see Adrien running out of the house. "Wait, stop, are you okay?"

I wipe my eyes and my heart warms at his concern but then I remember what's waiting for me at home. "Yeah, thank you, I need to go now but I'll tell you all later." I reply, knowing I won't end up telling them.

"Ok, but be safe," he looked at me, his eyes filled with care and concern. I nodded one last time, before pulling out of the driveway.

The entire way, I keep clicking the home button, hoping for any updates from Kyle or Colin but none pop up on my screen. Sighing, I look out the front window and grip the steering wheel tighter as my mind wanders to all the possibilities.

When I near our house, I see a black toyota parked on Colin's parking spot in our driveway. My eyes narrow at the car and I take a U-turn to parallel park in one of the street parking spots. My hands pull the brake lever back aggressively and I fling the car door open, getting ready for the nightmare that awaits me.

My shaky pointer fingers presses the door bell and I hear the chimes go through the house. The woman who opens the door is one I barely recognize. She looks to be around her late thirties and has heavy makeup on. Her eyes are covered with blue eyeshadow and mascara and her shoulder-length hair, clear with hairspray, is formally laid free.

"M-mom," I stammer, when my initial shock slightly wears off. Memories of her chasing me at the park, reading stories to me in bed, and kissing my cheek lovingly all come back to me but are replaced immediately with thoughts on how she left us, all of a sudden on the day I graduated middle school, and never was a mother to me again. Missing all the important moments of me growing up and calling, if I'm lucky, once every two month. The desire to have a mother who loves me never went away and my eyes watered every time I watched mother and daughter moments.

The tears that were threatening to pour out finally gave in as I saw this woman in front of me, for the first time in years. "Oh Autumn!" she cries and comes crashing into me for a hug. I hesitantly stand there, stiff, before putting one arm over her, accepting her hug. My eyes wandered trying to find Kyle and Colin and when I finally meet Kyle's eye, he sends me a reassuring smile, but even I can see he is scared. Colin has tear stains on his face and it sends a wave of hatred in me towards the people that made my loving brother cry.

When my mom lets go of me, a man standing across Kyle and Colin clears his throat. He had dark brown hair, similar to Kyle's, that stood up slightly in the front near his forehead. He was wearing a t-shirt that read, 'Blueprint,' which I assumed was where he worked. "Autumn, I would like to apologize in person for the text I sent you," he started. Colin immediately comes up to me and stands at my side protectively, as if he just remembered the text. "And we also want to tell you all some news. It's best if you all want to sit down."

He directed us towards the couch and Kyle followed right behind him, his arms crossed. The way he walked as if he had control and it was his house made me angry. We were the one who paid all bills from the moment our so-called 'parents' decided to leave us.

Once we were all seated, Kyle, Colin, and me on one side and our parents on the other, he started talking. "We know you all are legally adults now and we realize that we weren't doing our job as parents before as well." I felt Kyle tense beside me so I put my hand on his lap. He looked down and took my hand, squeezing it. "We are planning to retire and we just wanted to give you all a sense of closure. We won't interfere with your lives anymore but remember that we love all of you and care about you. I hope you forgive us" he told us but it seemed forced, like a written speech, that was practiced many times.

"Sorry," mom added quickly.

Kyle must have sensed the forced vibe too as he stood up off the couch, "Thank you but we don't forgive you. You failed us when we needed you and you weren't there for Autumn or Colin. They grew up without parents." Kyle talked for all of us and stood protectively in front of me and Colin. We both held his hands, "We survived by ourselves this long and we can survive with each other forever. Thank you for stopping by."

Our parents exchanged glances with each other, my mom with glossy eyes, making her mascara start running. "You have no right to speak to us that way!" Dad screamed, "we deserve respect as your parents!"

"What parents? When were you ever there for us?" Colin spoke up.

"Autumn?" Mom asked, looking at me hopelessly and all attention was turned towards me.

"Sorry but no," I replied quietly.

Dad grabbed a vase from the side table and threw it on the ground, making the glass shatter. He cursed at us as he grabbed mom's hand to pull her out the door and with one last glance in our direction, mom followed him to their toyota car.

Colin walked towards the door quietly, avoiding the glass pieces on the floor, and closed it, after we watched them drive off.

That night, we all cuddled up on the couch and watched a movie until we fell asleep together, giving us no time to think about the events of that day.

a/n: hellooo! here's finally a closure and the background story behind autumn's family and their relationship! 

thanks!