17

"Into pairs," ordered Snape. "Today we will be mixing a potion that often comes up on the Ordinary Wizarding Level exams. The Draught of Peace. Now, who can tell me what happens when one drinks this potion?"

Cassie and Addy raised their hands. Snape scanned the room, looking highly displeased with the students before him. "I see none of you have done the summer reading I assigned. You must prepare yourselves ahead of time, however, it is not my fault if you fail, which I am positive half of this class will. Miss Murton, if you please."

Addy put her hand down and said, "The Draught of Peace is a potion to calm anxiety and soothe agitation. However, if one is too heavy-handed with the ingredients, you'd put the drinker into a heavy and sometimes irreversible sleep— "

"Yes, so you will need to pay close attention to what you are doing." He glared at the Weasley twins. "Ten points from Gryffindor, Mr. Weasley. Maybe another detention will make you silent in my classroom." He turned towards his desk saying, "Ten points to Slytherin."

Instead of choosing the partners, Snape paired them up. Addy with George Weasley, Viola with Adrian, Angelina with Lee, and Cassie paired with Fred.

"Okay, whatever you do, don't go within a foot of the cauldron, all right?" Cassie told him. "I don't need you messing this up."

"Yes, madam," he saluted.

Cassie found it hard not to smile. She shook her head and began to brew the potion. Fred prepared the ingredients as Cassie added them into their cauldron. At the very end, Cassie allowed Fred to add seven drops of hellebore.

Snape had walked around, taking points away to those who had failed. He walked over to Cassie and Fred's station. He looked into the cauldron and reluctantly nodded in approval.

"Ten points," said Snape.

"Damn," said Fred, impressed. "I can't remember the last time I earned ten points."

"That's because you always find a way to lose points instead," Cassie remarked.

"Hey, so Hogsmeade weekend is soon," Fred began. "I was wondering if you'd like to hang out."

"Can't," said Cassie, cleaning the station. "You're a charmer, Weasley, but I can't risk getting caught— "

"Do you ever take big risks?" Fred challenged.

"Yes, I do," Cassie told him. "Playing Quidditch, being friends with Oliver... "

"Except Quidditch doesn't really count in my book and your old friendship with ol' Ollie was a secret," said Fred.

"Look, Fred, no one will care if you hang out with me. Sure, there will be like, 'why are you hanging with Malfoy' and 'what spell has she put you under' or 'did she smuggle you a love potion. She's capable of doing that— '"

Fred smiled as Cassie praised herself.

"— But I've got so much more to lose. Your family and friends may understand, but mine won't," Cassie went on. "So, I will not be hanging out with you."

Never did it occur to Cassie that Fred had meant it as a potential date.

During the trip, Cassie was going around Hogsmeade with Addy and Viola. They visited Zonko's first, then went to Honeydukes and bought some candy. The last thing they did before they left was have butterbeer in the Three Broomsticks.

"So, what was Weasley asking you the other day during class?" Addy asked once Viola had gotten up to head to the loo.

"Nothing," said Cassie. Addy didn't believe it.