34

"Hey, Cassie," Adrian called. "Professor McGonagall wants to see you."

"Me?" asked Cassie. "Why?"

Adrian shrugged. "Professor Snape wanted me to escort you to her office."

Adrian left Cassie outside McGonagall's office. She knocked, then entered. Inside was a small girl who resembled Fleur Delacour, but younger. Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley also happened to be there.

"Not in trouble, am I?" asked Cassie. "Is this detention? If so, I don't know why Granger would be here... and this little girl."

"Well, you are in luck, Miss Malfoy," she said. "You are not in trouble. You four have been picked for the upcoming task."

"The champions are supposed to take something from the lake," said Hermione. "You don't really mean us, do you?"

"You four are what the champions must receive," she explained. "Mr. Weasley — Harry Potter; Miss Granger — Viktor Krum; Miss Delacour to your older sister; and Miss Malfoy to Cedric Diggory."

Ron chortled.

"There has to be a mistake," said Cassie. "He should be retrieving Cho Chang for this, you know? His girlfriend?"

"I am very certain this is right," said Professor McGonagall. "Now, you four will not be in any harm. You'll be asleep, won't feel any pain as you are underwater."

"What if the hour's up?" Ron asked. "What if they don't retrieve us?"

"We stay down there forever," Cassie stated. Ron turned pale and Cassie smirked.

"I assure you, you will not stay there," McGonagall told them. "At the end, those of you who aren't brought up will be retrieved."

"We don't really have a choice, do we?" asked Cassie.

"No, I'm afraid not," she said.

"Well then, let's get this over with," Cassie said. "Hopefully I get out of there fast."

:::

"Where's Cassie?" Addy asked once she noticed she wasn't in the common room. No one had seen her since she went to see Professor McGonagall.

"She didn't come back last night?" Adrian asked.

Viola shook her head. "She might have, but none of us heard her."

"She might already be in the Great Hall," Adrian told them. "Let's go."

They entered the Great Hall and sat down at the table. Cassie wasn't there either. Addy, Viola, and Adrian weren't the only ones who worried. Once Draco had gotten to the Great Hall, he had noticed Cassie was absent. Fred Weasley had noticed it too and began to worry, knowing she wouldn't have missed the second task.

"Hey."

Adrian turned around, staring up at Cedric Diggory. "Can I help you?"

"Where's Cassie?" he asked.

"Why do you want to know?" asked Viola.

"She, uh, was going over an essay of mine," Cedric lied.

"We haven't seen her since last night," Addy told him. "Good luck, by the way."

"Yeah, thanks," said Cedric slowly as he turned away.

Ever since the Yule Ball, Cassie and Cedric never spoke. He never got to thank Cassie for telling him to go with Cho. He always admired her and now that he went to the ball with her, they had begun to date. He missed Cassie though and tried to speak to her, but she always seemed too busy.