44

"You see the numerals around the edge of the coins?" Hermione said, holding one up for examination at the end of their fourth meeting. "On real Galleons, that's just a serial number referring to the goblin who cast the coin. On these fake coins, though, the numbers will change to reflect the time and date of the next meeting. The coins will grow hot when the date changes, so if you're carrying them in a pocket you'll be able to feel them. We take one each and when Harry sets the date of the next meeting, he'll change the numbers on his coin, and because I've put a Protean Charm on them, they'll all change to mimic his."

A blank silence greeted Hermione's words.

"Well, I thought it was a good idea," she said uncertainly. "I mean, even if Umbridge asked us to turn out our pockets, there's nothing fishy about carrying a Galleon, is there? But, well, if you don't want to use them— "

"You can do a Protean Charm?" asked Terry Boot.

"Yes," said Hermione.

"But that's... that's NEWT standard, that is," he said weakly.

"Oh," said Hermione, trying to look modest. "Oh, well... yes, I suppose it is."

"How come you're not in Ravenclaw?" he demanded, staring at Hermione. "With brains like yours?"

"Well, the Sorting Hat did seriously consider putting me in Ravenclaw during my Sorting, but it decided on Gryffindor in the end," Hermione said brightly. "So, does that mean we're using the Galleons?"

There was a murmur of assent and everybody moved forward to collect one from the basket. Cassie was close in line, able to hear Potter say:

"You know what these remind me of?"

"No, what's that?"

"The Death Eaters' scars. Voldemort touches one of them, and all their scars burn, and they know they've got to join him."

"Well... yes," said Hermione quietly. "That is where I got the idea... but you'll notice I decided to engrave the date on bits of metal rather than on our members' skin."

"Yeah... I prefer your way," said Potter, grinning. "I suppose the only danger with these is that we might accidentally spend them."

"Fat chance," said Ron, who was examining his fake Galleon with a slightly mournful air. "I haven't got any real Galleons to confuse it with."

"Might want to keep it hidden from the Slytherins, Weasley," Cassie warned. "Think what my brother will do once he sees a Galleon in your hands."

On the way out, Angelina approached her and Fred. She looked rather furious like she was waiting so long for a moment to speak to her.

"Johnson," Cassie greeted. "Make it quick. I doubt any one of us wants to be caught."

"All right," she replied. "Tell your goons to lay off of our team."

"Why? What are they doing?" asked Cassie.

Angelina scoffed. "Your team keeps jinxing and hexing our team every chance they get."

"You know all I want is a fair game, Johnson," said Cassie. "I'll talk to them, all right. But you know, they're Slytherins. They'll do anything to win."

"The difference between you and them," Angelina replied. "Maybe that's why you're less intolerable."

"Did Angelina just compliment Malfoy?" Fred chimed in with a grin. "It's so great you're finally getting along!"

"We've got practice, Fred," said Angelina. "Get to bed early. No experimenting with your little toys."

Fred seemed offended. "One: they aren't toys. Second: I'm gonna take Cassie to her common room. I'll be sure to be at practice before dawn."

"You better hold your word, Weasley," said Angelina.

Once they began walking, Cassie said, "You don't have to walk me. I'm capable of going myself."

"I know," said Fred, taking her hand in his. "I wanted to spend some time alone with my girlfriend anyway."

Because of the portraits hanging on the wall, they couldn't talk too much. They both walked together, the only light coming from the few torches that lit up the corridor.

"I've been meaning to ask," Fred began. "When you were getting Sorted, it took a longer time than your brother's. Did it want to put you into another house?"

"It — The Hat considered Hufflepuff." Cassie had a light laugh as if it were ridiculous. "Imagine that."

"You are hardworking, fair, loyal— "

Cassie interrupted him, saying "Thanks, but Slytherin is... at the time, where I belong — where I wanted to belong in. I don't know, it's just... I guess I've always been surrounded by— "

"Snakes?"

Cassie laughed. "Yeah, you could say that. And we're here."

Cassie tip-toed, pecking him on the cheek. She was about to leave when Fred caught her wrist and pulled her into him.

"Fred— "

Fred had wrapped his arms around her body in a hug. "I love you."

Cassie froze. She didn't know how to respond — she was afraid to respond. Of course, she liked Fred more than anyone in the world. But she was scared to say it back.

"You've got to wake up tomorrow," said Cassie, pulling away. "I'll see you around."

Cassie walked back into her dorm as quietly as possible. As she stared up at the ceiling in the darkness, by the time she knew it, a tear escaped her eye.

Then, there was a shuffling noise. Addy had taken off her covers and sat up. Cassie wiped her eyes and a candle was lit.

"Hey," said Addy. She set it on the bedside. "You came back."

"No, I was always here," Cassie lied.

"You're a terribly bad liar," said Addy.

"You'd be surprised."

"I won't ask, but, um, what happened? Your eyes are all red. Are you in pain, though that's sort of impossible because you heal fast... "

Silence.

"It's all right," Addy said in a soft voice as she walked over towards Cassie's bed. "You can tell me."

"I just... really want this to be over," said Cassie.

"What? Studying? The school year?"

"Never mind," said Cassie, shaking her head. "Go back to sleep."

"Hey! Come on." Addy nudged her. "What is it? The last time I saw you cry was when... when...  "

"I wasn't crying," Cassie denied.

"Which explains the tear stains." Addy sighed. "Maybe I can help?"

"I didn't say it back," said Cassie at once. "Fred told me he loved me and I didn't say it."

"Okay... well— "

"I mean, who does that?" Cassie went on. "Obviously, I... you know... "

Addy smiled and wrapped her arm around her. "Cassie, there's no problem in not saying it back."

"Really?"

"Well, most times it doesn't end badly... Point is, saying the L-word, it's different for everyone. Some people just aren't ready for it. He'll understand, all right? Just explain it to him. Besides, I believe he already knows."

Addy stood up and blew out the candle. "Now, I think we can both do some good with some sleep."

"Thanks, Addy," Cassie smiled. "Know that you'll forever be my best friend, no matter what."

Addy smiled. "Good night, my best friend."