Dance [Chapter 13]

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

-Kyle Reese from "Terminator"

              Nighttime rolled over the busy city, but the city never slept. Car horns honked, startling the Huntress. The neon lights bothered her eyes as they tried to adjust to the new type of lighting, in this new world. There were no visible stars and it made her feel as though she was in a faux world; some illusion that blotted out the sky. The moon was a small sliver, peeking out from some smoke clouds coming from factories and cars. She noted once again how different this place was from anything else she had ever seen; small Russian towns, back roads, sometimes cities, but never a city like this. Nothing ever seemed to stop, nothing ever slept. 

                Despite all the distractions, the Huntress was still able to find out where Nicolas Fury was headed. He had tunneled underground, but neither the Winter Soldier nor the Huntress followed that tunnel. It could easily turn bad on their end, being trapped in that small space. It was obvious that Fury was a difficult but well-balanced, level-headed and experienced target. She had not called in their loss because they were given a longer leash; the Huntress was able to continue using her power to find Fury. If she could prove her worth on the field, she would be rewarded. Finding Fury was not the issue; as the Winter Soldier had said, he would not let himself get caught so easily.

                But they were not there to catch him; they were there to kill him.

                "How much further," The Winter Soldier asked firmly; he rarely had anyone work with him. While he knew the Huntress from past missions, he did not understand why she had to be there with him. He was fully capable of handling this one on his own; typically she would give the coordinates at the base, and he would take it from there. It was rare that they even crossed paths; he glanced at her and wondered what her use was. Aside from their target being on the move, there was nothing about this mission that was any different. He could have had the altered coordinates sent to him. 

                "He is on the fourth floor," she said to the Soldier at her side having to look up as he stood almost nine inches taller than her. While the Huntress didn't know what the soldier beside her was thinking, she had an idea; her use here was limited, but she could find exact location. She knew exactly what floor Fury was on.

                "Come." He pointed towards the stairs hanging off the edge of the building next to the one Fury was in.

                "Wrong building."

                He glared at her, and she caved.

                The Huntress kept her mouth shut then, climbing up behind him. The ladders seemed to keep climbing higher and higher, but she did not fear heights, nor was she getting tired out. Brisk but light winds blew over her skin. Her mask was still on, her hair loose over her shoulders, reaching just below her shoulder blades. Dressed in all black she blended in against the building under the starless sky. As they reached the top of the building, the Winter Soldier reached down and offered her his metal hand. Only a moments hesitation warped her thoughts, and then she gripped onto it not because she needed to, but because she wanted to show that she trusted him. They were partners, and that required trust. As she swiftly rose on the edge of the roof, she glanced over to the building where Fury was.

                "There is someone else there," she spoke softly, as if she might be edging into territory she was not allowed in. She was only allowed to link to whom she was told, but she needed to assess the situation they were in before diving into it. Of course the Winter Soldier could handle it, but she couldn't afford a mistake and possibly losing their target again. Their target had already proven to be resourceful; who knew who he had gone to for help.