Gaining Control [Chapter 16]

"People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, then repent."

-Bob Dylan

                A silence filled the room as O looked at the blonde by the door. Something told her that she didn't need to fear who was on the other side, and that was confirmed when Kate opened the door slowly. When a tall brunette stepped in with a solemn look on her face she looked around the room and an ominous feeling hovered in the air. As her eyes landed on O, she narrowed them. She walked over, her eyes locked on her the entire time. She stood tall, a confident woman in every movement. There was a noteable edge to the way her face contorted, though, revealing that she was indeed stressed out. And by all means, she had the right to be. 

                "Steve told me about you," she said.

                O had nothing to say to that; she couldn't imagine it was anything good.

                "He thinks we should keep you alive, I think otherwise after what you did to Fury." She was stern in her words, but it was obvious that she was going to oblige to Steve's wishes. O mentally thanked Steve for that. She didn't want to die; she was only just getting a chance at life now, for the first time. It was the first time she was given a choice; comply with Steve and the people he trusted thus turning her back on HYDRA, or to close up, stop talking to these people, and hope HYDRA would take her back.

               The choice was simple.

               She couldn't go back to HYDRA. They would kill her without a doubt.

                "I'm your only hope at stopping the Winter Soldier," she lied; there wasn't much she could really do against him, but she had to make it seem as though she was more powerful than they believed. 

                "He's the one who shot Fury?" Hill glanced over at Kate briefly.

                "Yes."

                "And you helped?"

                "Yes. While under the control of HYDRA." She paused, then looked at Hill. "I can track people, get inside of their heads."

                "Then track him so we can kill him," Hill commanded.

                "I cannot connect with him," O admitted once again, her voice clipped. Despite what he was, The Winter Soldier, O knew he was someone else before. Someone worth keeping alive. 

                "Isn't that convenient?" She crossed her arms, seemingly bored with O already.

                "Maria..." Kate said, "Is Fury...?"

                "Dead. Confirmed around one." She sighed.

                O studied the two women talking about the details of Fury's death. Without much thought or control, she made a mental bridge with Maria Hill. Her emotions had sadness in them, but not grief that most would experience during the death of a friend, or boss in her case. She sensed deception and distrust of everyone currently around her, and O was impressed that she knew better than to even trust Kate. O did not know if her intentions were honest, but it was clear she was not HYDRA. Knowing that much, she began to feel trust towards Hill, even if the woman hadn't warmed up to O yet. She didn't blame her for being skeptical about her, anyone with half a brain would be.

                "I'm taking her with me," Agent Hill stated after they had finished discussing Fury.

                "Where are you taking her? Steve asked me to ensure she was somewhere safe," Kate explained. "How can I trust you?"