Chapter 35

WORD COUNT: 805
__________________

Ready to go to work, Mutt waited downstairs for Papyrus.

Mutt was working as an engineer for a company and Papyrus worked at the canteen there, so they left together in the morning. Papyrus needed to be there early to prepare, so Mutt would pop them there and just start his own work to finish more and thus be able to relax more towards the end of his work.

While Papyrus disapproved of the lazy ways of his alternate self, he appreciated the fast way to get to his work, so he didn't complain too much. It even got his alternate to work!

Papyrus had decided not to open a restaurant like he had wanted at first when the Barrier broke, but instead to work in a canteen. He was hired at a company to open a canteen there and was surprised to find that Mutt was already working at that company, albeit as an engineer.

He had been exasperated when upon noticing this fact, Mutt had proceeded to hang around him during his breaks and make weird comments. He knew that he was Great, but the way his alternate said it was weird.

Rolling his eyelights at another weird compliment from Mutt, Papyrus ignored him and started to set everything up to be ready for when more people would arrive and be hungry.

Mutt grinned at this, knowing that Papyrus truly didn't understand that he was flirting, but that only made it more challenging. He looked forward to when he would understand it, but he could wait. In Mutt's mind, if Papyrus didn't understand that he was flirting, then he wasn't ready for a relationship. or he didn't like him that way.

__________

Edge was concentrating on his work, seeing as even a brief moment of a lapse in focus could kill someone, and worked hard to help everyone. As a surgeon, his incredible control over his magic came in handy as he was operating on patients. Using his magic to keep his hands still and to Heal at the same time for there not to be a large loss of blood, Edge was extremely careful.

His training as a Healer came in very handy since it seemed that it was very much appreciated by the humans. Because of his Healing, the humans had set him to work as a Doctor to others, but not knowing a whole lot about human anatomy, he wasn't able to do a lot. he was pretty sure that he actually wasn't supposed to be put to work like this without schooling. Angry at his inability to do more, he had started reading as many medical texts as he could to fill in the hole in his knowledge. Which is how he got 'promoted' to a surgeon, since apparently because he could Heal, even if he messed something up, he would be able to Heal it better. that is NOT how it worked, but he wasn't able to protest, lest he accidentally put himself in a corner. he just needed to study more, do more.

Stretch shook his head from behind a corner and disappeared back to his workstation, ready to attempt to brainstorm another way for magic to impact human medicine, working with a couple of other Monsters and some humans.

In the Underground, a lot of books from the Surface fell down. A lot of them where from students, throwing their books away to celebrate graduating. Stretch had one day found a book about biomedical engineers and he had been hooked ever since. He vaguely remembered helping his dad in his labs and putting all the knowledge he had gained to use, but it was all too vague to truly be able to confidently say that he had work experience.

Thankfully, when he and the others who wanted to get the human degrees went in to test their knowledge, it seemed that he was one of the only Monsters having enough knowledge to actually get a degree in Biomedical Engineering.

Working with Magic and technology was something that Monster had been able to learn a long time ago while trapped and now combining that knowledge with human technology was both hard and easy at the same time. Some things were able to be combined almost instantly, but while Monster had their own medical problems, there were far fewer than humans had, so a lot of things had to be invented.

That was his and his team's job.

Occasionally working at the same hospital that Edge worked in was a total coincidence, how was he to know that the closest hospital to their lab was the same one that Edge was at?

With a smirk, Stretch started his work, already preparing on 'accidentally' bumping into the edgy Papyrus during their breaks... that were 'coincidentally' at the same time.

______________
A/N:

I may or may not be really wanting to end the book to start a new one, but the story still doesnt have an ending! i can't just leave it at this!

...

I might decide to lower the updates by a lot and start a second book to write at the same time... or just lower the update rate because I really want to have more time for animation/drawing...

Hmm...

We'll see, I guess.

BUT I REFUSE TO ABANDON THIS BOOK SO NO WORRIES!!