One

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I looked at the screen, and Brandon's name was flashing across the screen. Brandon is my older brother. He and I were raised by our mom after our father ran out when he was 5 . I was only 1 so I don't remember much of the bastard. Brandon took care of my mom and I from the time he turned 14 years old. He got involved in the street life at that age and he's been involved in it ever since. After he got involved he never let our mother work another day, because he had seen her struggle for so many years. He was always careful when it came to us we were never around his street life or any illegal activities he was involved in.  Brandon took care of us. He was our provider and our protector. Today Brandon is 25 and he pretty much ran things from here in Dallas all the way to Atlanta, shit he had the south on lock.

I sighed and rolled my eyes wondering what he wanted this early in the morning on a Saturday morning at that. I let the phone ring once more before I answered.

"What is it Brandon?  It's  8:30 in the morning!  What could you possibly want ?" I said to him with my eyes still closed waiting for him to answer me.

"Raine get your ass up ! It's Saturday morning and you're still in the bed ." He fussed through the phone causing me to sigh , "Look get up and put on some clothes and meet me down on 1st and 3rd street I got something to show you. " he said hanging up the phone not giving me time to answer.

I yawned and got out of the bed. I walked over to my body length diamond studded mirror and stood there staring at the reflection of myself. I was about 5'10 or tall for a girl as they called it. My chocolate sun kissed skin reflected off the mirror as I stared. I wasn't too curvy, something that I didn't get from my mother's half Haitian roots, but I was okay with that. I never really attracted the attention of boys partially because of who my brother was and also because of my dark skin, which wasn't popular in the south, so , I never really had boyfriends growing up. Here I was 21 years old I lived alone in an apartment and I had my own car. I had just graduated cosmetology school about two weeks ago, but I hadn't had any luck finding a job just yet.

I sighed getting frustrated thinking about the topic of me not being able to find a job. I went into my bathroom and proceeded to take a shower. After my shower, I decided to just wear a simple olive knee length dress that fit loosely with my nude wedges along with the diamond necklace that Brandon had gotten me for graduation. I decided on light make-up and I simply ran the flat irons through my hair that I had recently straightened out of its natural state.

It was now going on 11 o'clock, and I knew Brandon would be pissed at me for taking so long. I grabbed a bottle of water out of my refrigerator and grabbed my purse and keys leaving the apartment. I walked outside to my baby blue Beamer that Brandon had gotten customized for me on my 16th birthday. I got into my car hearing Lauryn Hill's Nothing Even Matters come through the speakers and I pulled out of my parking space to meet Brandon at the location that he had said.

Once I pulled up to the location I noticed that there was a lot of traffic so I parked across the street from Little Texas Café. Brandon knew Little Texas was one of my favorites. I got out of my car with the sun beaming down on me walking into the café. I didn't see Brandon so I stepped outside and called him.

"Bran where the hell are you ? I'm at Little Texas and your ass ain't here. How you gonna rush me out of my bed and your ass ain't even here ?" I semi yelled through the phone with an attitude.

"Nobody told your fat ass to go to Little Texas . I didn't say meet me there I said 1st and 3rd." He said now sounding frustrated.

"So where the hell you at then Brandon?" I questioned now taking my sun glasses off and placing them on my head.