Chapter Nineteen

Sam

I stand up from my spot on the couch. "Oh my gosh! He's okay!? He's in the sanatorium!? We need to get him out of there!"

Mike pulls me down by the wrist, making me sit back down next to him. "Hold on, Sam."

Dr. Hill nods. "Yes. We need to be smart about this. Joshua is being held in the sanatorium. Stevenson must have brought him there from the mines after the rest of the crew met back up at the rubble of the lodge. No one would have seen his group take him. No one knows Joshua is there. Stevenson told us that Joshua's dead body must have washed away in the water, further throwing people off his tracks. To combat the fact that Stevenson was taking more than his group's fair share of food, he told us that his group was just hungrier from working so hard. No one questioned it, despite the fact that it was only extra enough for one other person. With the effort Stevenson is making to avoid suspicion, it is going to be very hard to break him out. I need to scope it out first."

"So when do we take action?" Mike asks.

"Not until the day after tomorrow," Dr. Hill instructs. "I need to see what this is all about. I need more information. I won't try to get evidence until I have you all with me. I don't want to damage the whole operation by getting caught tomorrow."

Mike nods. I just glance at Chris on the other side of me, who hasn't spoken since the news. His face is ghostly pale. I put my hand on his arm. No reaction.

"Is there anyone we can contact to help?" Mike inquires.

Dr. Hill shakes his head sadly. "No. Stevenson has everyone else fooled. Even the police that came as a part of the research team. Not that it would matter much, the police unit put Stevenson in charge of everything and everyone. The only way we could get him arrested is through Roger and a cop."

Mike considers this. "Yeah. The second in command. Should we talk to him?"

Dr. Hill shakes his head once again. "No. Not without proof. If we don't have proof, our words won't mean anything. And if anyone from Stevenson's group heard, we would be in big trouble."

"Getting Josh out of there would be proof enough. What about the cop part?"

"Unfortunately, several cops are part of Stevenson's group and the rest of the cops follow Stevenson's lead. He was appointed to be in charge. No one has found a need to question him and no one wants to defy him. There's probably only one police officer we can trust, Officer Neil Piperson. But again, we can't come to him without proof. If we can get proof, hopefully Joshua, we can show Roger and Officer Piperson and get Stevenson and his conspirators off the mountain for good," Dr. Hill informs.

I don't trust myself to speak again, so I continue to let Mike ask all the questions.

"So what do we do tomorrow?"

"You all stay here. I mean it. I have to go to the sanatorium tomorrow to join Stevenson's team, but I do not want any of you to come with me. I need you all here. We can't trust anyone right now. Keep your voices down when talking about this subject and don't let anyone in. Who knows what Stevenson will do. You three also don't know who is a part of Stevenson's team and who isn't. Stevenson wants answers and will do anything to get them. Since he knows that you three were a part of the group that had been on this mountain, he might try something."

Mike nods. "Yeah. We sure know a lot more than Josh does. I'm not sure he knows much of anything about what went down that night."

"Yes. So it's important you all stay together. No matter what. Keep an eye on Samantha especially. It seems that Stevenson has already taken a liking to her."