Chapter Twenty-Three

Josh

I hide behind Sam, trying to keep my breathing steady. A man who I assume is Officer Piperson is pointing a gun at Stevenson's men who barged in. There are also many men lined up with him pointing a gun at the men. 

Another man, who I assume is Roger, warns, “Don’t take another step.”

“You all are under arrest for the kidnapping of Joshua Washington,” Officer Piperson says. 

He then nods to two other men, who promptly walk to the door to go outside. Before they reach the door, Chris and Mike come stumbling in.

The men let them walk past, going outside. 

Once inside, Chris and Mike freeze, not knowing what to do in this situation. 

Officer Piperson motions with his head for the two to come past the group, his gun still trained on one of the men who tried to come after me. 
Chris and Mike quickly come over to our side. Then, the men who went outside before they came in reappear, a weak Stevenson in their arms. 

“Stevenson!” Roger yells. “How could you do this!?”

Stevenson doesn’t reply, just giving a cold, hard laugh before shifting his gaze to stare me straight in the eyes.
“You’ll never escape, Joshua,”       

One of the men hits Stevenson in the head, effectively shutting him up by knocking him out yet again. 

I grab Sam’s arm from behind, my breathing escalating. Voices appear, and I try to force them back, not wanting the others to notice. The voices suddenly stop, interrupted by the sound of Chris hissing in pain. 

I snap out of it, looking over to find Chris clutching the side of his neck with both hands. 

“C… Chris?” I manage to say. 

“Guys, I’m not feeling too hot,” Chris explains before hitting the ground with a thud. 

“Chris! Crap!” Mike cries. 

Sam gasps. “No!”     

I step away from Sam, rushing with Dr. Hill to Chris’s side. 

“We need to get him medical help and lock these traitors up!” Roger orders. “Now!” 

A rush of chaos is all I remember before I pass out next to Chris from worry... 

I wake up in an unfamiliar place. At least, I think it’s unfamiliar until I look around. 

My bedroom?

“Mom?” I ask instinctively.

To my surprise, my mom rushes in.

"Josh!" She rushes to my side and gives me a huge hug. 

That's when I remember. 

"Chris!"  

My mom rubs my back in an effort to calm me down. "Shhh. He's okay. They rushed you and Chris off in an ambulance and let us bring you home. There are some responders in the living room making sure you're alright. They took Chris to the hospital, but they are already done looking at him. He's here now. In one of the guest rooms."

"Sam?"

"She's here too. She and Mike followed the ambulance in Mike's car while Dr. Hill followed the ambulance in his car. Everything has been packed up. They're moved back here for good. None of you will ever have to go back to that mountain again."

"What about Stevenson?"

"He got arrested along with those working with him. Roger is taking over the project now. Now, can I get you anything? You've been out for hours," my mom explains.