Chapter 1

This is a pretty lake.

You probably should take the time to come here more. There are sailboats in the distance and kids swinging at the playground on the other side of the blue water.

It's pretty here.

It was pretty here. It was a pretty lake. You correct your own thinking, your own thoughts absentmindedly. You've been doing that a lot lately. You probably should have taken the time to come here more.

The picnic table you picked is far away from everyone else, like a private little island, except you can hear echoes of laughter and screams of fun as families splash in the water. The wood is hard under your ass and your feet tap on the bench as you wait, trying to be patient. The sun is hot on your back even as it slowly starts its descent in the late afternoon. The sun will be out for a few more hours. It's two days before the Fourth of July and it's been really hot, the days are long and nights short.

This would be a pretty place to watch the fireworks.

You breathe in deep, knowing that you probably won't see any fireworks this year and that's okay. You've made peace with it.

The sound of tires on gravel startle you out of your thoughts and chills run down your spine. This is it. Your skin tightens with anxiety but you've come this far. You've made your choice.

Steady, confident footsteps follow the car door opening and closing. The rocks under their shoes crunch loudly and the pace is slower as they approach your back. You don't really want to turn and see whoever it is, but this is the last hard part. Everything else will be easy after this. It'll be done.

They don't say anything so you push your sunglasses up over your hair and rub down your face, fingers pressing hard over your temples. You've got a headache again. The dull pain gives you enough of a reason to turn your head and nod a hello towards the stranger.

The sun is behind the tall man, making you squint and you have no idea what to say. Maybe he'll say something first but you wait a few beats and you know that won't happen. He's just standing there, looking at you. From your quick glance, you see that he has dark hair slicked back and his body is slim. He's wearing far too many clothes for this heat, dress slacks and a turtleneck. Maybe he works in the city? Maybe this is his second job?

"Are you him?" Your voice doesn't sound shaky like you thought it would. You're slightly proud of yourself for that.

His voice, even though he spoke just one word, makes you shiver. "Yeah."

"Okay great, um, hello." You say awkwardly as you shift your body around to fully face him. He steps towards you slowly, coming more into view and his brown eyes are narrowed at yours. His strides are long and his arms carry a lot of strength, his hands and fingers twitch like they're ready to pounce at any sudden movement. Maybe he's military? No, but maybe he's retired because he has long hair and a beard that probably wouldn't be allowed. It really looks good on him though.

Whoever this man is, it's not what you were expecting.

At all.

"Thanks for coming." And now your voice does shake a little because this is a scary thing you're about to do and suddenly your throat is dry. Did you really decide to do this?

He doesn't say anything and continues his intense gaze. His eyes finally flicker down your body, it's nothing but a quick assessment. He nods for you to continue and you sigh deeply. It's now or never.

"Yeah okay, so I'm assuming you know why I called you?" You didn't really call, you left a message with a homeless man in the city, who somehow had text you this location, time and day to meet.