Chapter 4

**

The Continental is the most lavish hotel you've ever seen. You're not even sure it's a hotel, it might just be a resort if there was a beach outside instead of the city. It's like you're on a different planet.

John parks right in front and collects his bag from the trunk while the valet comes around. You feel particularly modest with your small duffel bag and glad that you decided not to bring your backpack like some teenager. At least you're wearing some of your new clothes, but you still feel out of place. John looks sexy in his slacks and a black button up shirt. He walks with a confidence that you envy and you're not the only one who can't keep your eyes off of him.

The massive doors are opened by a hotel employee, and he nods to John as you both walk inside. All you can see is a polished marble floor down a long hallway with high ceilings and gorgeous chandeliers. It's breathtaking.

"Hey, I should probably tell you something." John steers you into a corner and puts his back towards the lobby, so you're hidden from the room.

"What? Right now?"

"Yeah, sorry. I just..." He's crowding your space, towering over you and leaning in close to whisper. "I sorta have a reputation. People will know me."

You look up at him with wide eyes, not knowing what he expects you to do with this information. "Okay?"

"And with you being here... you'll now be associated with me."

"And that's a bad thing?"

He shakes his head, hair falling into his face. "No... I don't think so."

You're still unsure and then a thought dawns on you, making your hands sweat and suddenly you're extremely hot. "Oh, you're embarrassed to be seen with me?"

John's concerned eyes instantly turn to confusion. "What? God, no, not at all. I just meant people might ask you questions. I don't know how you feel about that."

"Ah, I think I'll be okay." You reassure him and smile. "I'll just tell them I'm your assassin secretary."

He chuckles and gives you one last look, studying your eyes before he walks towards the check in counter. You hang back and look more into the lobby, careful to avoid any eye contact that you can feel from everyone. It's not really any effort though, you've gone most of your life looking down at the floor.

You feel a strong hand on your back and John asks if you're ready to go upstairs. He does know a lot of people and he gives a nod to practically everyone you pass in the hallway. You sigh some relief in the elevator once you're both out of sight and give John a small smile.

"A reputation, huh?"

"Stop."

"What kind of reputation?"

The elevator dings on the fourth floor and he motions for you to go first. "A scary one." He tells you on the way to the room and you can't tell if he's joking or not.

"Is that what they call you? Scary John Wick?"

"Not exactly." The door opens and it's a suite with a living room and kitchenette, and two beds. Well, this is new. John takes the one closest to the door and you put your bag on the other bed. "I hope this is okay, I didn't know if you would want your own room or not. I probably should have just asked you."

"This is great, are you kidding? It's like a vacation!" You're thrilled because you can't even remember the last time you were in a hotel. You just wish the reason for being here were different.