Chapter 3

**

The next shift you work Officer Saunders stops in and introduces himself as Jimmy. He's the same officer friend John did the favor for that fateful day and he's also the officer who helped you get Max put away. What are the odds?

"He hasn't come around or anything, right?"

You're stocking the medicine section and squating on the floor, so you have to keep looking up as Jimmy keeps asking you questions. "No, sir. I haven't heard anything from him. I actually heard he's in rehab, so that's good?"

"You hear that from John?"

"Yep. Don't ask me how he found out."

Jimmy smirks and adjusts his police cap on his head. "John knows a lot about everything it seems."

"Yeah, I know. It's kind of annoying."

He laughs and helps you up when you're finished with the last box. "I can see why John likes you, you tell it like it is."

Smiling, you walk behind the counter to start on the schedule for next week. "Yeah? I probably annoy him too then."

"Hmm, not the way he tells it. I've never seen him--" Jimmy gets cut off when his radio beeps loudly and he has to go. Before he leaves he tells you to give him a call if anything comes up, and you wonder what he was going to say.

**

A few days later John wants to take you out to celebrate your promotion, but you tell him that the movie and sushi were plenty, but thank you anyway. He goes silent until he shows up at the gas station a few hours later.

"Hey!" You greet him with a warm smile. You secretly love it when he surprises you at work. "What're you doing here?" John is wearing a suit again and you instinctively reach to his forehead where there's a cut and bruise forming. "What happened? Are you okay?"

He grabs your hand before you can touch his sensitive skin. "I'm fine, just work."

"Oh." You hadn't realized he had a job since you saw him last. He kept texting you every day like usual and didn't mention it. For some reason it hurts your feelings, that he would keep something from you. "You didn't tell me you were working."

"It was quick. Didn't even have to leave town. In and out."

"Oh." You don't really know what to say. "Okay."

He's still holding on to your hand and he's just looking at you with a small grin.

"What's that look for?"

"I mean, maybe my face does hurt a little."

"Really?" You're instantly concerned. "You want me to look at it? Do you want some aspirin or something?"

Slowly he shakes his head, looking at you intently. "I think we know what the best remedy is for a bruise. How's your foot?"

You realize that he wants a kiss and push him gently away. "John, stop. I was seriously worried."

He laughs at your innocence and bows his head for forgiveness, but he's still smiling.

"Is that all you came here for?" You ask, bored of his antics but really it's all just an act. You still get the butterflies.

"Well, no, Miss Assistant Manager, I really do want to take you out to celebrate."

You sigh loudly. "I thought we already talked about this."

"No, you talked about it." John follows you up to the counter when the bell dings, signaling a customer came in. You quickly ring the couple up and they're on their way back to a van full of screaming kids. John keeps himself busy looking at the magazine rack until you're done.