Chapter 5

**

A bright light turns on and you gasp for air. You're having trouble breathing, your lungs struggling to work right and it's making you panic. The feeling of Max's hands around your throat slowly fade away as you wake up from your nightmare.

John is trying to coax you to open your eyes. You can hear his voice and once your vision isn't blinded you see that he's reaching for you, wanting to calm you down. He presses his hand to your heart, which is almost beating out of your chest.

"Hey, shh. Just breathe with me, okay?"

Both of you are sitting up and you feel as if the whole bed is shaking, but it's just your body. The room is spinning and the warmth from his hand is finally starting to ground you.

"I'm sorry," You pant, trying to catch your breath. "I think I had a dream."

John leans towards you, pushing away damp hair from your forehead. You're drenched in sweat. You see that John's t-shirt is wet too and you're embarrassed, a wave of heat coming over your already hot skin. "I don't think you slept at all, you've been restless since you closed your eyes." His voice is soft with worry.

Your nerves are quieting down and it takes everything in you to hold back tears, trying not to cry. "I'm sorry. I should just go. I don't want to keep you awake."

If he's frustrated with you saying that you should leave, he doesn't show it. "Can you just let me take care of you? Just for tonight? Trust me."

All you can do is nod and he gets up, taking off his damp shirt and tossing it to the floor. You watch, sitting in bed, as he goes to the bathroom and turns on the tub. The bruises on his back are just starting to slightly fade. He's in there for a while and you look at the alarm clock on the bedside table. It's 2am. The emotions from the day are still with you, which means you probably haven't slept much at all. You're groggy and tired, and you just want to sleep.

You're sticky with dried sweat though and if John is making you a bath, you won't protest. Your hair is clinging to your neck and you don't even want to know what you smell like right now.

He comes back to you, motioning for you to follow him. You look at the bruises on his chest as he grabs your hand, steadying your wobbly legs and leads you into the bathroom. It's dim, with a few candles lit and this would be incredibly romantic if it wasn't for the crappy past few hours.

"You have candles?" You ask dumbly, looking around and you see the tub is full of bubbles.

John is unfazed by your inability to comprehend anything right now. "You're squinting, which means you probably have a headache. I didn't want it to be too bright in here. Can I help you get in?"

You nod and turn your back to him before taking off your tank top. You cover your breasts with your arm, even though he's practically seen all of you. It still makes you feel vulnerable. "Can you close your eyes for a minute?"

He does and you push down the pajama pants of his you're wearing. You're completely naked in front of this man, but all you can think of is how disgusting you must look. And smell. This is not sexy at all. John's entire upper body is dotted with purple bruises and you feel like a baby with two minor wounds.

"Don't look yet." You grab his arm for balance as you step carefully into the bathtub and he instinctively knows what to do, where to hold you as you sink down into the warm water.

"Are you good?" His eyes are still closed and you bring your knees to your chest. The tub is huge and there are bubbles everywhere. Considering the circumstances, this is perfect.