Chapter 8

Daydreaming at work seems to be a problem. You can't get the thought of John out of your mind. His hands. His lips. His face. His body. The ever-constant sweet gestures, the affectionate words he whispers, how special he makes you feel...

John Wick, your boyfriend , is becoming a problem.

It's really weird to have such a wonderful problem.

Your thoughts that were consumed with darkness are now light. The hollow, empty feeling you once carried is suddenly heavy with a fullness that you never knew could exist. At first you were afraid that you were letting John do all the work, build that confidence which was shattered over time, but you realize that he's just speeding up the process and helping you, not doing it for you.

Pushing him away for so long built up your strength and you don't feel dependent on him, like you did with grandma and that's a relief. You can make your own decisions now, even if it might take longer than normal but it's happening. The growth is still progressing every day. He's starting to break down your wall but at the same time, you're breaking his too.

Currently, you're thinking about this morning and John waking up next to you in bed, his warm kisses down your spine as you hugged a pillow modestly to your chest. He wouldn't stop tracing his fingers all around your naked back, his eyes watching so intently, as if he couldn't believe that you were letting him touch you like this. You only started to squirm when his calloused hand dipped lower towards your hip, slipping under the band of your panties and stroking the skin there for a few minutes before you had to get up for the day.

Being naked in John's arms might be your new favorite thing.

"So then this alien started talking to me, ya know? Like, wanted the sandwich my mom made for lunch. Can you believe that? Like, get your own sandwich alien dude."

You blink back to reality. "What?"

Sam is looking at you with bored eyes. "I've been here for five minutes. Why do you look like a little kid on Christmas morning?"

"Oh hey!" You feel yourself start to flush. "How's it going?"

Now he's narrowing his eyes at you. He's very observant for a teenager. "What's with you?"

"Nothing."

He instantly pouts. "Seriously?" It seems like you hurt his feelings. "You're really not gonna tell me?"

"Ugh fine, but it's dumb." Are you actually going to say this out loud? You haven't even told Beth yet, and now you're about to tell Sam that you have a boyfriend. That John Wick is your boyfriend. "John and I went to the wedding this weekend..."

Sam nods, he knew about the wedding pretty much the day you decided to go. He grabs a towel and spray bottle, starting to clean around the register. "Did you have fun?"

"A lot of fun and we're kinda... together now. Officially."

Sam stops cleaning and doesn't look at you. "Oh."

You're not sure what to make of his reaction, but you're disappointed that he's not a little excited for you. "See, I told you it was dumb. Nothing for me to be acting so stupid about."

"It's not stupid... I just...." He sighs loudly and kicks his backpack under the counter, obviously not wanting to tell you something.

"What's wrong?" You ask, concerned. Maybe he broke up with his girlfriend and doesn't want to hear about your new relationship?

He's still looking down when he finally talks, trying to get it all out quickly in one breath. "I don't like John. I know you had a black eye a few weeks ago and I'm still trying to figure out how to kick his ass."