[29]

____________________________________

<The Great Hall, A few Days Since the First Practice>

It had been a few days since the first practice session and Fred couldn't stop thinking about Willow, he wanted to ask her to go with him to the Yule Ball but he just couldn't. Every time he went to ask her, he froze up and played it off as though he wanted to ask her something different. Currently, they were all sitting in the great hall doing their homework when George nudged him, "do you think Ron's got a partner yet? or will he have to go with McGonagall" Fred stifled a laugh so that Snape wouldn't hear and replied, "he doesn't yet". George scribbled on a piece of paper telling him to get a move on before all the good ones were gone and slipped it to Ron across the table. Ron read it for a little bit before slipping it back, "who are you going with then?" he said.

Fred watched in amusement as George grinned, scrunched up the piece of paper and threw it at Angelina. "What?" she asked, annoyed, Fred watched and again stifled a laugh as his twin mimed out to Angelina, asking her to be his partner, she smile "yeah alright idiot" she replied and George turned back to Ron giving him a thumbs up. Fred looked back to Angelina and made eye contact with Willow who was also grinning, "smooth" she whispered and George nodded in acknowledgement. "Your turn," George whispered to his twin, "shut up".

-

It was the time for the second practice and as McGonagall said to grab a partner Fred rushed to find Willow, he scanned the room only to find another boy had beaten him and was asking her. Fred watched in disappointment as she nodded her head slowly. She looked up, straight into his eyes and she looked disappointed as well as if she had actually wanted to dance with him and not this random boy. Fred found himself a new partner hesitantly, he thought that she was probably in the year below. It didn't feel as smooth and he couldn't stop thinking about Willow. He needed to ask her.

-

Angelina and Alicia both had their partners and Willow couldn't wait to see them all dressed up, they would look so pretty! A few boys had asked her to go with them but she had politely declined. She knew who she wanted to go with. And even if he didn't ask her, she would simply go by herself, she didn't need a boy to escort her. Although Willow couldn't stop thinking about how nice it was dancing with Fred that one time and she wanted to do it again so badly.

Angelina, Alicia and Willow had all planned to go into Hogsmeade this weekend and try and find a dress in the few clothes shops that were dotted around the small village. "You ready to go, Alicia?" Angelina said as they waited for her to come out of the bathroom. "Coming," she said and whizzed out of the bathroom, slipping on her shoes and grabbing her bag. "Okay ready!". The three girls made their way down into the common and passed the boys who were sitting around playing wizard chess. "Where are you three off to?" Lee asked as he saw them. "To go dress hunting!" Alicia replied excitedly, "and no you can't come, it has to be surprised", Lee and George groaned, Fred grinned. "Bye," they all said as they made their way to Hogsmeade.

After hours of searching Angelina and Alicia had found their dresses, Willo was still looking and there was only one shop left. Angelina had the most beautiful purple velvet dress. It matched her skin tone beautifully. It also had a low neckline that showed off a bit of cleavage but not too much and thick straps across her shoulders, the fabric crossed across the bodice and hugged her figure nicely. From there it flowed out a little bit and stopped at her ankles. She was in love with it and George would be too.

Alicia's dress was quite different, it was a stunning honey golden colour and was made of silk-like fabric, Lee wouldn't be able to keep his hands off of her, it was such a nice material to the touch. It hugged her figure and flared out a little bit after her knees, a mermaid dress was what Willow thought it was called. The neckline was similar to Ange's and it had beads and pearls embroiders along the edges which were the perfect amount of detail. Each girl had opted to have their's sent straight to their dormitory, that's the benefit of magic.

They all entered the last store, "Okay Willow, you go around and pick out a few that might be potential options, just grab them and then meet back here, we will look for some that we think could look good on you as well", Willow nodded in agreement, "Okay sounds good", she was hoping that she would find a dress here. She was just so indecisive, plus she had the condition that it had to have long sleeves which slimmed down the options quite a lot.

Willow had found a few that she found appealing and took them to the changing rooms, where she met Alicia and Angelina who had a few more options for her. One by one Willow tried them all on. They were all so beautiful but just not quite right until she had two left. She tried the second last one on and stood and stared at herself in the mirror for ages. It was perfect, exactly what she had been looking for. "Willow, are you alright, do you need any help?" Alicia called out to her, Willow silently stepped out of the changing rooms to where the two girls were waiting. "It's perfect" she whispered, they silently agreed, nodding their heads. "It's stunning, Willow you look beautiful!". She did a spin and giggled, "this is it, but there's one more dress", "you should try it on just in case" Angelina said, "but I agree, that one is perfect for you". Willow went back in and tried on the last dress, it was pretty but the one before it was perfect.

-

The Yule Ball was only a few days away and Fred had yet to ask Willow to be his partner, by now, he thought that she already has one anyway, he had heard some boys talking about asking her. He sighed and George looked at him, "she's at the Black Lake, go and ask her". Fred looked up at him, "what's the point she probably already has a partner", "you won't know until you ask, what if she doesn't". Fred thought about it, "I guess your right", "I am, now go before it's too late!" he said shooed hit twin out of the common room.

Fred wandered down the corridor and made his way down to the Black Lake, it was a bitterly cold day so he pulled his coat tighter around himself. There she was. As he approached her she heard his footsteps as the snow crunched beneath his feet, she looked up from her book and smiled at him, "Hello Fred". "Hi, what are you doing out here in the cold," Fred asked, she was shivering yet was still out there. "I like the quiet, what are you doing out here in the cold," she asked as he sat next to her, "looking for you," he replied simply, she looked surprised. "Any particular reason," she asked. Fred hummed, she shivered again and he wrapped an arm around her, "you shouldn't be out here in the cold, you'll catch a cold", he pulled her closer, she snuggled into his chest, "why were you looking for me?". She knew he was trying to avoid the question. "To ask you a question," he said hesitantly, "take your time," she said and started reading again.

Fred looked down at the girl snuggled against his chest, technically there were two questions that he wanted to ask her but he couldn't ask the second one, not yet. He took a deep breath, "Willow", she looked up at him. "Will you go with me to the Yule Ball?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper but he hoped that she had heard it so he wouldn't have to repeat it. "Yes". Fred was taken aback. He looked down at her incredulously and she laughed. "Wait really! you don't already have a partner?", she smiled at him, "I was waiting for you, and you took your bloody time! Almost thought I'd have to go on my own". Fred smiled sheepishly at her, "sorry!". "That's okay, you asked in the end," she said and went back to reading. They sat like that for a while until they were too cold to stay out there any longer.

____________________________________