Sophie~Fight Song~

Listen to Fight Song by Rachel Platten!! This is my first writing on Wattpad, go easy on me, please :)

Sophie popped her earbuds in, putting her IPod on shuffle. She hummed along to the first song that started playing. Now that she thought about it, the lyrics really fit her.

𝘓𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘢 𝘴𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘰𝘢𝘵 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘤𝘦𝘢𝘯

𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘪𝘨 𝘸𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘴 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘰𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

Sophie smiled fondly as she projected her memories into her memory log. She half laughed and half cringed at the memory of visiting Ravagog on Lady Cadence's house-boat with Keefe,

𝘓𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘢 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥

𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘢 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘯

and at how she had accidentally woken Fitz up from his sedative-induced sleep by transmitting that she missed him, and how her treacherous heart had fluttered when he whispered that he missed her too,

𝘐 𝘮𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘤𝘩

𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘢𝘯 𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯

at all of the chaos and countless risks they had gotten into that Sophie didn't even know she was capable of, even with her abilities.

𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘐'𝘮 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘱

𝘌𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺'𝘴 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘮𝘦

𝘐𝘯 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘥𝘦𝘦𝘱, 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘐'𝘮 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘥𝘦𝘦𝘱

She thought of Marella, of Jensi, of the ones who weren't by her side anymore. Being the moonlark had its downsides... Friends were one of them. They were targeted and used as bait... and nightmares and flashbacks were also a problem. She had barely slept a couple of hours last night, and even without them, the frequent anxiety and the heavy darkness she had no choice but to stare at, lying awake at night.

She knew everyone around her was worried for her health- both physical and mental. Grady and Edaline had dark circles under their eyes, they were so worried for her, though it was nothing on her. Sophie was sure she looked like a panda, the dark spots under her eyes were so prominent. Her friends were like that, too. They treated her carefully and gently, too carefully, that sometimes she wanted to remind them that she was, in fact, not a porcelain doll.

𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘸𝘰 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴, 𝘐 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘦

It had been over a couple of years since she'd come to the Lost Cities, and she missed her human family. Seeing her parents and sister for the last time had been unbearable, no matter what she had told her friends, and she couldn't stop the lone tear from slipping out of the corner of her eye.

𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦'𝘴 𝘢 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦 𝘣𝘶𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘣𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘴

But the emotions bubbling inside her served as a kind of fuel, setting her alight. She usually hated fire-related things, it reminded her all too much of Fintan and Brant and all of the damage they had caused to all of the species, from humans to elves to gnomes.. but a spark had ignited inside her.

I still believe, yeah I still believe

𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘐 𝘥𝘪𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘴𝘢𝘺

But... deep inside, Sophie was hiding. She could be the richest person on Earth if she had gotten a penny for each time she had swallowed her words and feelings.

𝘸𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘴 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘣𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯

They had piled up inside her mind, her heart, as she forced them down, and they were eating her up from inside. It was leading her into depression, leaving her into a shell of what she used to be, convincing her into wearing a facade of a smile everyday.

But she was tired of it. Tired of being afraid, tired of letting it turn her weak.

𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮 𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘥 𝘵𝘰𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

𝘊𝘢𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘮𝘺 𝘷𝘰𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦

This time, she wouldn't hold back. She wouldn't let the Neverseen, or the echoes, or anything get in her way. She was going to dp whatever it took to defeat the Neverseen and bring peace back.

𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘺 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨

Sophie stood up, pulling her earbuds out so the music blasted out of her IPod, singing along as she twirled and danced to the song.

𝘛𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘮𝘺 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨

The Black Swan had modified her genetics, but even if she was a GMO, many-abilitied freak, she was her own person, and she was in control of her own life. The Neverseen kept trying to make her doubt that, herself, and the Black Swan, but she was making her own choices.

𝘗𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘐'𝘮 𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨

She hadn't been acting like herself lately, and she was aware of that, but she was going to rise as a new person, a new star shining bright and strong at dusk.

𝘔𝘺 𝘱𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳'𝘴 𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘰𝘯

She was powerful, the Black Swan and Mr. Forkle had made sure of that, gving her four- and possibly even more- abilities. She couldn't turn them off, so why let them go to waste? She threw her hands up, and the action seemed to give her a fresh burst of energy, and Sophie's eyes had a new gleam to them as she sang.

𝘚𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘐'𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨

No more worrying. No more crying. No more hiding under the covers. "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." Sophie recited aloud, remembering the quote from one of her favorite human book series.

And she wouldn't. If she was going to make a change, she would have to act, not just keep her vision on the past and future. She was going to be strong.

𝘐'𝘭𝘭 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺 𝘮𝘺 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨

𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘧 𝘯𝘰𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺 𝘦𝘭𝘴𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘴

Others could be skeptic, based on how she had been acting. The ones close to her would probably say she needed more rest, but Sophie didn't care. She wasn't going to be fazed by anything. She was going to be herself.

𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘭𝘦𝘧𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘮𝘦

She was going to fight, and no one could stop her.

𝘕𝘰𝘸 𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘨𝘰𝘵 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘭𝘦𝘧𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘮𝘦

No one's reading this, but if you are, guess the book mentioned (the quote) and the character who said it!