(1) Welcome To My World

Welcome To My World

I had to admit, with no intention of bragging whatsoever, I'm damn awesome. I mean, have you ever met anyone who's still in high school after the amount of trouble they've gotten into? Nah, I bet you haven't. But there's always a first time, and you'll be meeting this person very soon.

So here I was, standing with my head held high, my arms crossed loosely across my chest and my brown hair flying behind me. I feel like I'm at the beach right now, instead I'm at the principal's office waiting to hear the verdict for gluing a very annoying boy to his chair. With the standing fan right in front of me blowing a huge amount of air onto my face, I'm sadly reminded of the beach breeze.

Mr. Henowitz, the principal tapped his chin as if in deep thought. "Hmm, what have I given you already? Detention? Check. Extra homework? Check. Helping the librarian during lunch? Check. Cleaning the school grounds? Check. Suspension? Check-"

"Sir, I could make you a list to save you the trouble of mentioning them all," I interrupted. I'd be standing here for a very long time if he were to mention them all. His face turned beetroot red as he glared at me for interrupting him. Oh I loved it when his face went red as it would complete his cartoon-ish character of being short, round and bald. He'd fit in Tom and Jerry perfectly if only he could have steam pouring out of his ears.

"No need for that Sophie. In fact, I've just remembered a conversation I had earlier this morning with a friend of mine-" I cut him short.

"Whoa sir! You have a friend?!" I asked in complete disbelief. Yeah, till now I thought the only person he would converse to was his unfortunate wife.

At this point I actually wanted to burst out laughing looking at his face. I'm sure even the most depressed person would smile if they saw him at the moment. His face was redder than the chair he was sitting on. I was trying my hardest to keep a serious face on.

"Don't push it, Sophie! You're in big trouble already!" He exclaimed angrily. Ahh, now it was actually getting fun.

"For what, Sir? Gluing Thomas to his chair?" This time I couldn't help it, I burst out laughing at the memory of Tom trying to stand up, with the chair attached to his ass. I tell you, it was a pretty sticky situation.

I glanced at the clock and saw around ten minutes had passed already. Whew, time really flies when you're having fun. But obviously it was more fun outside the office, so I decided to stop joking around, hear the punishment and quickly get out.

"Sorry sir, please carry on about your friend's conversation," I said with fake politeness and the gravest face I could put on.

He cleared his throat and continued, "James Kelvin, owner of the TalkToUs teenage hot-line centre, is lacking in employees. YOU will fill in the place and help talk to the people after school for an hour, for a whole week. If you skip these, James will inform me and you will get into deeper trouble. Do you understand Sophie?!"

I groaned. Talk to depressed strangers over the phone for an hour and give them advice? Damn, sometimes I'd need the suggestion of at-least three people when choosing between two tops during shopping. I mean, I'd love to help them, maybe I could really help out a few people. But I was pretty sure my advice would be something like 'Oh please don't kill yourself. I'm sure everything's gonna be alright after your boyfriend cheated on you with your best friend while your mom died in the plane crash on her way back, and now they can't find her body pieces.' Nope, definitely helping nobody.

"I knew this would be the perfect punishment for you," Mr. Henowitz muttered, smiling satisfactorily to himself.

I pouted, "Sir! You know me very well! I can't give advice! Instead they'll get more depressed talking to me!"