Chapter 11

Over the last few weeks Blathers and Kevin got quite a bit of work done on their entomology report. They even found time to work on assignments from other classes together. Today they were spending some time writing in the library. Kevin did most of the textbook reading as Blathers had trouble looking at the pictures on each of the pages.

Kevin settled the textbook down and leaned back in his chair with his arms behind his head, "I think we need a break from the textbooks. What do you think Blathers?"

"We can continue, I've no need for a break. We've gotten quite a bit of work done, why stop now?"

"So that my brain doesn't fry up from all the terminologies and definitions we've been reading. Anyway, there's something else we should get working on, don't you think?"

Blathers looked up from his notes, "There is?"

Kevin grinned and sat upright, "Oh yes, we need to start our prep for the big games."

"Oh." Blathers looked at him with disappointment, "Must we?"

"You wanna be prepared for it don't you? I already signed us up so there's no backing away from it now." He stood up and began stacking his books, "Come on, we can train out in the field, it's practically empty at this time of day."

They made their way out of the library together and settled their bags down by a large oak tree in the field.

"Alright, so what kind of training are you proposing we do?"

"First things first, buddy: Stretches."

"Excellent, yes. Let us begin, shall we?"

They each did their own version of stretches, with Kevin's moves looking more technical and Blathers struggling to do whatever he considered stretching.

"Now some warm ups. Let's do a couple laps around the library."

"Jogging? Around the building? That's quite a feat. This building is rather large."

"No no, not jogging. Running." Kevin winked.

"I don't believe I'll be doing any running, thank you very much. I've never been one for physical sports, let alone ones that involve high levels of intensity or cardio. I'm going to stick to a light jog around the perimeter." He glanced over to where Kevin was headed. Kevin broke a small branch out of a bush and walked back towards Blathers. There was a caterpillar on the branch and Kevin stretched it out towards Blathers.

He yelped and started running away from it, as Kevin chased after him with his outstretched arm.

Blathers managed to do a single lap of running after all.

"Hey, that's not bad! Not bad at all!" Kevin laughed. Blathers was winded and leaned against the oak tree catching his breathe. Kevin placed the caterpillar back in the bushes.

"Why must we train so hard right from the start?" Blathers asked in between deep breathes.

"Oh we haven't started training yet. These are just warmups."

Blathers gasped, "I beg you, don't put me through this vigorous routine. I'll be dead before we make it to the games!"

Kevin chuckled, "You'll be fine. A little hard work never hurt anybody." He handed Blathers a bottle of water, "It's important we train hard. We're gonna be up against Eugene and his partner for these challenges. It'll be only them we're facing. Two v Two. He's my arch nemesis and I've got to crush him! No exceptions, no plan B. Winning is our only goal for this."