Chapter 12

Professor Cheeseworth held a sheet of paper inches away from his face as he tried to decipher what was on the print out. The students waited patiently, some yawning, others doodling. Blathers was never irritated about the professor's troubled eye sight. He often struggled to identify the correct student when calling on their names, even with his glasses on. The students waited.

One of the students called out to the professor, "Professor, it's 9pm."

"Huh? Oh, my. It is, isn't it? Well time seems to slip right by when you're my age. Very good, class is dismissed. We'll continue this lesson next week."

The class promptly took their things and made their way out the of the class. Blathers made his way over to Professor Cheeseworth's desk as he usually did after Tuesday's class.

He gave Blathers a smile and a nod, "How goes it, young man?"

"I'm doing very well, Professor, yes quite well indeed. In fact, I've been a bit embarrassed to say, but over the last few weeks I've been training for the Big Games. I've been registered with a partner and it looks like we're going to give it our all!"

"My my, that's quite a surprise!" He paused from ruffling through his documents, "You know, I really think this will be good for you, Blathers. You show much promise, I see a lot of potential in you. It's just a matter of brining the best out of you and these games will definitely help you come out of your shell."

Blathers left the Archeological building in a great mood. As he was making his way around the field, he heard some music coming from the residential area of the campus. Seemed like there was another party at the dorms. With his boosted spirits, Blathers decided to pay Kevin a visit.

He entered the main floor of the dorm building. There were a few people playing foosball and darts, but most of the students were huddled together crowded around something. Blathers couldn't see what they were crowded around, he could only see a bunch of red varsity jackets blocking his view of whatever was at the center. He stepped in a little closer to get a better view. Still nothing. Everyone in the room was talking quite loudly and Blathers couldn't make out what was so interesting. Some other students gathered behind and around Blathers and he was inadvertently pushed closer in. Tripping over someone's sneakers, he tumbled his way right in the middle of the crowd, landing on his face. Looking up he saw what everyone was huddled around for. There was a coffee table with a glass cup upside down on it. The cup was flipped on its top because it was used to trap an insect. More specifically there was a trapped pray mantis in the glass. The students were cheering in awe as the mantis was using all of its strength to push the cup off the low coffee table. It succeeded a moment after Blathers had caught a glimpse of the vile creature. The glass bonked him on the head and the mantis fell right on top of him. His shriek filled the entire dormitory and everyone laughed and cheered even louder. Blathers flapped his arms trying to knock the mantis off his head with a panic, looking around at the students pointing and cheering, raising their cups and cackling.

At that moment Kevin pushed through the crowd and brushed the confused mantis off Blathers' head.

"What's the matter with you bunch? You think this is hilarious?" He yelled sternly. He took Blathers by the arm and pulled him out of the crowd, pushing students out of their way.

They walked out of the residential building and Kevin apologized for his friends' behaviour. Blathers stood silent.

"I shouldn't have wandered into the dorms uninvited. I heard the music and saw the crowd and curiosity got the better of me, it seems."

"Ah, forget them. You can come whenever you want. You know where I'm at."

Blathers looked up at Kevin, "Thank you for getting me out of that embarrassing situation, Kevin. It's truly appreciated."