Chapter 15

Celeste was in the living room adding some new details to her 'Go Kevin' sign.

"Good heavens, Celeste! Why have you still not made a sign for me? I'm your brother!"

"I'm supporting the both of you. Since you're my brother you already know I'm supporting you. But Kevin may not know, so that's why I've made the sign."

Blathers sighed and prepared his breakfast. The adrenaline was enough to keep him wide awake during these daytime hours. He was nervous. They were tied with Eugene's team and he knew how much this meant to Kevin. He knew he needed to give his all today.

He could barely get his food down. Celeste noticed the worried look on his face. "You're going to do fine today. It's a scavenger hunt right? You're the smartest person I know! With your brains and Kevin's braun, you guys are sure to perform well today." She gave her brother a hug and showed him her updated sign.

"What do you think?"

Blathers examined her sign, "Go... Taurus?"

Celeste let out a frustrated grunt, "Forget it, I'll start over."

Kevin met up with Blathers on the field, making their way to where the final challenge was set up.

"How you feeling, buddy?"

"Well, I can't say I'm doing well considering the state of my nerves, but I'm optimistic."

"That's the spirit!" Kevin patted Blathers on the back.

"Welcome competitors! Today's the final challenge, and today we find out who'll win the grand prize!"

"Beating Kevin is the only prize I'm interested in winning." Eugene sneered

"Don't keep your hopes up!" Kevin replied.

The host continued her explanation of the challenge. Blathers was listening very carefully but eventually the pounding of his heart drowned out the words of the host.

"Alright, buddy. You ready for this?"

"Eh, wot? I believe so..."

"We just need to use the clue in this envelope to find the next clue, and so on, until we reach the end. Should be simple enough."

"Alright, competitors. Ready?"

The all nodded.

The horn went off.

They opened their envelopes as franticly as they could.

"Alright, bud. First clue says: 'Uncovered in the art of war'..." Kevin looked around the field, "What on earth is this talking about?"

Blathers' eyes widened, "Ah, yes, the Art of War. It's an ancient Chinese text from the 5th century detailing military strategies by the legendary strategists, Sun Tzu himself. Quite old when you think about it, really. It's truly a wonder that the university library has a copy of such an old text. Makes you wonder if it was worth acquiring, considering that almost nobody would read it. The university doesn't even offer any programs that would deem it useful or necessary."

"You're a genius, Blathers!" Kevin pulled Blathers' arm and lead him away from the starting area where Eugene and his partner were still trying to decipher their first clue.

Blathers ran after Kevin, "Where are we going, if I may ask?"

"The library!"

They entered through one of the side entrances and Blathers lead them right where it was resting on the bookshelf. They pulled the book out of the shelf and wiped some of the dust off. They opened it up and quickly flipped through the pages. An envelope dropped from within the book.