iv.

The sound of a heart monitor stopping is a sound you never forget.
And it's a sound that would make Cassie take the biggest step in her life.
In room 83 the superhero with a deep gash in their arm finally lost themselves in the coma. Cassie stepped back and watched them take their last breath and it felt like a part of her had died too.
She looked at her watch and saw it was 11:05, she cursed under her breath and teleported to the training room. Cassie looked around the room and at first saw nobody, until she saw somebody. Leaning on the wall near the door Kaz was stood staring right at Cassie, like he knew that's where she'd show up. "you came." Kaz smiled, half of him was wondering whether she'd turn up but the other half knew to wait for her. "what made you change your mind?"

"Patient 432."

"isn't that the patient who won't wake up from their coma?"

"yes, and now they never will, they passed five minutes ago."

"oh... But if you don't mind me asking how come this one hero dying changed your mind? What makes them so different to the other 925?"

"because this patient was my sibling."

"wait, 432? That's Binary! Binary was your sibling?!"

"yeah,they was a great hero. But now their gone, and I could have prevented it. All my family is now gone because some villian has come and taken their lives. That's why I didn't want to be a hero, I saw what it did to them. But Binary was my last family member and now they're gone. And I don't want to stand idly by anymore."

Kaz took a minute to take in all the information Cassie, then like a light bulb turning on, something clicked." you didn't get your statistical powers from mathmatico did you? Binary had the same powers."

"when they first went into the coma I mirrored their powers so I could still have a part of them with me."

"if you can mirror powers why don't you mirror Horace's caduceo powers?"

"you know i always wondered why Horace's ranking was so high when he was just a doctor... If only I realised he was caduceo. He only just recently came out as the notorious superhero caduceo. I haven't had much time with him to copy it nor do I really want to. That power to bring people back to life is dangerous, no one should hold that much power, why do you think he went into hiding in the first place? But anyway, if I did want to, I made a promise to Binary that I would never use my powers on them in that way, I broke that mirroring their powers but I won't go further than that."

" you know, I am so confused with you, everytime we talk you seem to exhibit a new power or a bigger sense of humanity."

"i guess I should start explaining if we're going to do this. Are you still up to take on... this" Cassie gestured to all of her.

Kaz looked at the anxious Cassie and have her a bright smile, "absolutely. Tell me everything."