𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

*Fifteen Years Ago*

"Byung-ho I've had enough!" The lady yelled at my father in the neighbouring room.

"Then leave," he responded coldly. "You married me for the money anyway." 

"And you married me for my looks—how do you think Y/n feels? I can't be a proper mother, and you're a lousy excuse for a parent yourself!"

"Oh please Youngmi, we both know Y/n was an accident," he snapped, making his wife flinch.

I continued to listen to their conversation in the other room, although I didn't understand what they're talking about. Despite my lack of knowledge as to what they're saying, I can tell that my mother was getting hurt.

I heard the sound of glass smashing against the floor — the third time tonight.

I've gotten used to the fighting at this point, seeing as it happens on a daily basis. And even though I didn't know why the fighting happens, I knew that our family has never been happy.

"Get out of my house Youngmi," my father said in almost a whisper. "Get out now."

I didn't hear a response from my mother for a while, so I decide it was safe to exit my room. I stepped out into the main area where my parents were to find my father standing in the middle of the room, his fingers rubbing the temples of his forehead.

"Father?" I called out softly, causing him to turn in my direction. He gave me a harsh glare in response.

"Y/n, go back to your room, I'm not in a good mood right now."

"But Father... Where's Mother?"

"Y/n," he spoke, raising his voice. "Back to your room right now."

He pointed towards my room, ordering that I leave him alone—but I didn't listen.

"Did Mother leave?" I asked, causing even more anger to build up inside of him. He walked up to me and gave me a stern look, causing fear to overtake my emotions—yet I still don't leave the room.

"Is Mother okay?" I gulped, clearly annoying him more than ever. He took another step closer to me, extending his arm—and that's when I felt it.

Pain. Burning pain on my right cheek. The pain of being slapped across the face. 

I could feel my eyes pooling with tears now. I tried my best to contain my emotions, but for a five year old it's not that easy. A tear rolled down my cheek, and I quickly wiped it away to avoid my father from seeing it.

"Y/n!" He boomed, making me blink. At this point, he's so agitated that he may as well be turning red. I lowered my head in shame, knowing what I did was wrong. I've never gone against father's rules, for I know that the consequences would be worse than hell.

I turned around to head back to my room, my eyes still making contact with the floor. As I arrived at the foot of my door, I turned back and took one last glance at my father, who was now facing the opposite way.

Slowly, I started to close my door, when I heard my father call my name.

"Y/n," he began. "Don't expect to see your mother ever again."

The words hit me like a brick, allowing for even more tears to fall down my face. I was never close with my mother, so I wasn't entirely sure as to why I was crying—I guess it was just the thought of not having a mother figure in my life that hit me so hard.

With blurry vision from the tears, I closed my door and cried myself to sleep.

*Present Day*