Chapter One

9/8/20
Zelda's PoV
~*~

"Spit that out right now," I said, glaring at Miro as he tried to go for another few of the leaves that were sitting on the counter. "No."

Miro gave me a wide eyed stare, as though he didn't still have a leaf between his teeth.

"Spit it out you idiot, mom needs to use those."

The little tan-colored dragon considered this for a moment, then spat the leaves out - they weren't covered in that much dragon slobber, as they'd pretty much gone straight into the ikosch and not his stomach.

I narrowed my eyes, and he spit out one more.

"You're such a hoarder, by the Shard." I turned towards the door and waved over my shoulder. "We're delivering something to Ira's shop today, if you want to come."

I heard a flutter of wings, then a weight settled as Miro landed on my backpack and rested his head on my shoulder. I gave his nose a scratch. "Did you hear she has a new apprentice?"

Vague curiosity fluttered across our connection, and I rolled my eyes.

"You just want to know if he'll scratch you under the chin, right?"

A gravely laugh echoed up the dragon's throat.

"Yeah." I shook my head, then gave him a scratch on the top of his head, which made him purr. "I heard he's from way out east. Like even near the Faerie Realm. I wonder if he has met any of them."

Miro wasn't very keen when it came to talking, and when he did talk back it was more in impressions than words. But he always listened, so he was a good ear to talk to.

We left the house through the front door. "I've been thinking about this new apprentice..." I began, a little nervousness fluttering in my stomach. "And the fact we've been here nine years now, and I still haven't made a close friend. Or at least a lasting one."

Miro snuffed.

"You don't count, you're my bonded, and I met you before we came here," I said, poking him on the nose. "We were training for three years, and then so focused on work and healing that we didn't try to make friends." I paused. "Perhaps my healer could be counted as a close and deep friend but... it's their job to help me."

Badly repressed sadness leaked through our bond.

"Yeah... and the ones we have made left for different towns... or are in different towns." I sighed. "I know you like getting pet by more than just me, but there's been priorities... I've been getting better though." I held up my hand and he rubbed his face against it. "So that's why I was thinking... maybe with this new apprentice we could have a fresh start. An opportunity to make a friend who is new to the Aiuan." I pursed my lips. "I don't know, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself... let's meet him first."

I rounded the corner of the shop and whistled, catching the attention of my riding drake. He hopped up from the big bed he was laying on and ran over. I smiled as I grabbed the sides of his face and squished his cheek scales, then rubbed my nose to his. "Good morning, Fade," I said.

Miro jumped from my back onto Fade's head and wrapped his tail around his horns.

I climbed onto the saddle and gave a whoop, sending Fade bounding out of the backyard and into the streets. He loved to run, and I let him go as fast as he liked, just occasionally sending him down different paths. When we left the town, he sped up to a sprint. He let out a cry that Miro and I echoed. Fade took the long way around, which I didn't mind, he needed to stretch his legs. Maybe later I could take him to the falls and go fishing, and perhaps dad might want to come too.