Chapter Two

Fade almost seemed to cackle as he jumped off the edge of the waterfall, and I screamed in exhilaration as well as a little fear. I dove off his back before he hit the water. Miro simply took off and flew down to the bank of the lake.

My dive took me down almost to the bottom, my hands glowed in the deepening dark. I searched for a few moments before I found what I was looking for, I gathered a few of them, then kicked off the bottom. My lungs only squeezed a little bit before I made it back to the surface.

I got out of the water and laid the small red-veined stones onto the grass to dry. I plopped down to do the same in the warm sunlight. Well, it wasn't sunlight, but we called it that anyway.

It was moonlight. The seven moons reflected the sunlight that came from the other side of the planet. Our sun never actually came over to this side of the world.

Fade swam around, catching fish with his quick movements. Some of those fish wouldn't go to his stomach, but instead his Ikosch, like Miro with the leaves. Dragons (in all families, drakes, wyverns, etc) had a movada in their throats, which were called Ikosch. A movada, in basic terms, is a personal little transdimensional pocket in space where you could store things. Highly useful.

I had one, but I didn't use it very often as I didn't have a lot of free room in it, and taking things out took more energy than just taking something out of a backpack did. Still, they were useful for more than just plain storage. Time didn't move in most movada, so it was perfect for food since it would never spoil.

When my clothes had dried, from the sun, and from my own magic, I loaded the little rocks into Fade's travel bags and we headed for home.

On the way, I spotted someone walking between the settlements. Most people didn't walk it, as it was far faster to ride. I turned Fade towards them and we caught up to him quickly. Fade stopped at my command, and I was surprised when I recognized him. "Link, what are you doing out here?"

He looked up at Fade, then me. "I uh, was heading to your shop, actually. Ira wanted me to pick up something."

"As it so happens I'm heading back there myself. Want a ride?"

He stared at Fade for a moment then he swallowed. "Sure. How do I..."

I patted the drake on the shoulder and he laid down on the path, sinking down as far as he could. Then I held out my hand to Link. "You ever ridden before?"

"No." He took my hand and I pulled him up behind me.

"Then hold on tight, Fade loves to run."

He seemed a little hesitant, bless him. I patted my sides.

Link slowly wrapped his arms around my waist.

I clicked my tongue and Fade sprang out of the crouch and took off in a sprint.

Link's hold hadn't been at all tight before, but it turned into a death grip now. I laughed and held onto his arm with one hand and the saddle with the other.

When we made it to the shop, Fade bounded around to the back and then settled down onto his bed. He wasn't tired, or even close, but he'd gotten some exercise for the day and he was happy. And he'd gotten two riders briefly, which made running more energy consuming and more fun.

Shard, I loved him.

I helped Link down from his back and he held my hand for another few moments as he steadied his legs under him.

I smiled in sympathy. "I'm sorry, was he going too fast?"

Link shook his head. "No, no, that was -" he cleared his throat, "-cool, I just-" He took a deep breath then let it out slowly. He didn't finish but looked around at the backyard. At the crates strewn, and the big drake bed, and the water trough beside it. "You saved me a long walk."