Chapter Seven

Finally he looked at me, and though I tried to hide it, he saw the truth in my eyes. That I was scared of the answer.

He looked down, then let out a breath. To his credit, he didn't hesitate as he gave me the answer. "Arunenai."

I closed my eyes and gritted my jaw. Aiuan. We were Aiuan. It didn't matter who we were before we came here, we were here to make a better start. To change our lives and ourselves. I knew that, my parents knew that. I let that run in my head on repeat until I calmed enough to have a steady voice.

"I'm glad... that you escaped them."

He looked at me hesitantly, out of the corner of his eye. "So you know what I am... I wasn't sure if you would..."

I took another steadying breath. "Most have heard of them, even if it's just a passing warning." I clenched my jaw again.

"Did you..." he hesitated. "Have you had an encounter with them?"

I closed my eyes again and a humorless laugh escaped my lips. "You could say that..." I said.

Sorrow and guilt overtook his face. "...but you survived?"

I took a breath and rubbed at my eyes. Did I even want to talk about this? "...a band of Arunenai left their borders and attacked my father's trade caravan," my voice had gone dead, not unsurprising, I was describing one of the worst nights of my life. "My parents and I were the only survivors, and barely, at that." There was so much more, but I wouldn't open that all up now. Not now.

Oh Shard... not now...

Link made a sound like a whimper, and curled his arms around himself. "I am so sorry... I-"

That sound he made brought me back to myself; focused the world around me. I pushed aside the weight in my chest. The guilt. "No," I said. "No, it's not your fault." I sharply shook my head. "You may be of the same race, but you are not responsible for what your kind have done." I knew personally race didn't define you - I'd left my own. I took another breath. "You are Aiuan now." I bit my lip, but hardened my resolve. I put my hand on his shoulder again. "You're one of us."

Link crumpled forward, hands on his face, and let out a choked sob.

Tears welled in my own eyes as I wrapped my arms around the crying boy.

Arunenai - a race of brutal killers and harsh customs... and here he was, fallen to pieces because I wasn't judging him for what he was born into. Because I'd welcomed him...

"I'm glad that you made it here, Link," I said as I stroked his hair. And even though swirling emotions roiled in my heart, I truly meant it. "You are stronger than them."

~*~

Link had cried himself to sleep in my arms.

An Arunenai... completely vulnerable. Shard, what would my parents think... would they so easily forgive him his race? It wasn't so different from my own... but it didn't matter right now - I wouldn't tell them, not until they got to know him. They didn't really need to know at all. I hadn't needed to know... but I'd asked him anyway.

I looked up at the brightening sky, then over at my sleeping drake. I'd stayed up and let him rest. I closed my eyes and listened to the waves crash, smelled the sweet air of the morning.

It had been quite the trip...

It was time to head home.

Instead of poking him awake - that seemed like a bad idea - I held a ball of light above his face and slowly turned it brighter until he tightened his eyelids to block it and turned his head away.

"Time to get moving," I said.

He made a bit of a whiney moan, and it sounded like a dog. Very well could have been, given the Arunenai had animal forms.

I gently pushed his torso off my legs, and I groaned myself as I tried to stand. Nope. I fell back on the grass as I waited for the blood to go back into my legs.

Link sat up and blearily rubbed at his eyes. They probably stung. My eyes always did after crying myself to sleep.

"Sleep okay?" I asked.

He glanced around, then down at me. "Yeah..." he said, then yawned. "How about you?"

"I didn't," I replied as I rubbed my legs. "Since I didn't want to move you, I had Fade sleep and I was on watch instead."

It seemed to be adding up in his head. "I... I slept on you?"

I looked up from my grass-level vantage point, and I smiled. "Yep, your head right in my lap."

His cheeks darkened. "Skor, I'm sorry."

"Don't be, I didn't mind." I finally stood up and shook my legs a little. I went to the cliff edge, maybe a dumb thing to do with wobbly legs, but I wanted to see the ocean one more time before we left.

It was as beautiful in the morning light as it was any other time of the day.

Link joined me, and we stood in silence for a minute.

"About last night..." he said.

"What about it?"

"You meant... all you said?"

"Of course I did." I put my arm around his shoulder. "Listen, Link, you just gotta get used to this whole Aiuan thing. I'd wager it's a direct opposite to how you were raised."

"Absolutely opposite."

"You get to choose how to live your life now. Any way that you want."

"Can you help me learn to fight again?" he asked.

My eyes widened. Seriously? "Why?"

He looked at the peaceful water, soft determination on his face. "Like I've said... I want to be able to protect people. To help those who have helped me."

"If that's what you want, I can help you, but..." I frowned, brows drawing together. "I also suggest you see a healer about your... trauma."

He looked over at me, and our noses nearly touched with how close we were. He looked away quickly. "Yeah... agreed."

"As for the fighting..." I tapped a finger to my chin. "I can make illusions with my light."

Link nodded slowly. "That would be helpful... and what about maybe... a cage?" he asked softly.

Sadness at the look on his face gripped my heart tight. "If it is necessary... Yes, I could subdue you... but it wouldn't be pleasant."

He let out a sigh and then he stood a little straighter. "Thank you."

I pulled my arm tighter and leaned my head against his. "We can do this."

_-_

On the way back home, Link hadn't hesitated at all to wrap his arms tight around my waist.

~*~

OOOOOPS I forgot I didn't have a drawing for today.
So... I drew this just now 🙏

 I drew this just now 🙏