Chapter Three

9/18/20

We took the time to go through the details, and decided to go on our hunt the next day.

I met Link at Ira's the next afternoon.

"You ready to go?" I asked. He didn't have a pack or anything.

"Yes," he replied.

"Food, extra clothes, sleeping gear?" I pressed.

He nodded.

Okay, so he had a movada, and he used it more than I did.

"Alright, let's go," I said as I held my hand out to help him up.

"So where exactly are we going?"

"Weren't you listening yesterday?"

"I was thinking, sorry."

"South-eastern Katharoa, so it's still technically within Auian lands, but a bit on the outskirts. There's probably closer places to find it but this is the most reliable we know of."

Fade took off running, understanding some of my words and already knowing where to go.

Link didn't have to hold on as tight as he had before, but he still held my waist. Hey, I wasn't complaining. He was pressed against my back a little to help with the bounciness of Fade's gait.

We couldn't really talk effectively over the wind, but occasionally I pointed out some things that he may not have known much about.

About a half an hour later, we stopped at the fold center of our area. This was just the place with the most stable and regulated folds around. I flipped a coin to one of its guardsmen, and Fade sprang towards one of them, I pressed down in the saddle and urged Link to do the same. The fold was big enough for Fade, but it was always better to be safe than sorry.

We jumped from an area with bright grass and sunlight, into a shaded forest with cool blue undertones. We dodged between a caravan and a line of people waiting for the fold, and sprang deeper into the forest.

Once we were through the thickest part of it, I directed Fade again, then leaned forward in the saddle to try and steady myself.

Miro hadn't come with us, and even with how weak of a mind bond we had, it was still hard to be so far away from him. We had a strong marked bond, but we were still two completely separate individuals. Most bonded did everything together, went everywhere together. Miro and I weren't like that. Yes, I loved the dumb little dragon, but we weren't connected at the hip. However, being so far away made my marks hurt, and I felt dizzy and dissonant. I'd feel a little drained for a few hours, then I would adjust.

"Are you okay?" Link asked.

I leaned back so he could hear me better, and I ended up leaning against him without meaning to. "I'm alright, it's just the side effects of being away from Miro, that's all."

"Oh, I didn't know there were side effects."

"I'll be fine, don't worry about it." I rested where I was for another few moments before pulling myself forward again.

Miro hadn't wanted to come, and I hadn't tried to insist he did. It was nice to be able to interact with Link without my little troublemaker around.

"Does he not like me?"

I smiled, Link was probably relieved to not have him around for this too. "I don't think he actively dislikes you," I replied. "But he's hard to please." I laughed but I doubt he heard it. "Maybe when he's in an agreeable mood you can scratch under his chin. That will award you some points."