chapter 02.

"It's so wonderful and warm."

"You were so out of character this morning," my best friend said before licking her vanilla ice cream.

On the other hand, I picked a watermelon one.

"I was just thinking about something."

We sat on a nearby bench before watching some varsities play basketball at the open-ground court. The wind is blowing very nice and on this spot is a little bit quiet that's why this is my favorite place in this school, aside from the rooftop.

"How was the break?"

"Pretty boring," I answered. "But I managed to finish my anime watch list."

"Good for you!" B/F/N cheered. "Remember Lev? He asked me to watch their game after classes."

Lev.

Lev?

"Lev..." Haiba?! My eyes grew bigger. What's with this day?! Lev Haiba, another first-year member of the boys' volleyball team, just asked my friend to watch their practice?! Dude, first, my brother asked me to be their team manager. Now, my friend is close to Lev. Wow, how great.

Fine, I guess I am going to go home alone today.

"Yup, and I think you can watch it with me!"

I threw my friend with an are-you-serious-look before I ate my remaining ice cream on the stick, throwing it afterward at a nearby trash bin.

She can't be serious, right?

"You will watch me, right?"

"A-Actually, I have to go somewhere so..." I smiled sheepishly. This excuse isn't going to work.

"But you told me you need to pay me back for accompanying you at that anime event last time!"

I grunted before rolling my eyes, scratching my head. B/F/N looks so enthusiastic as if she was really waiting for this event to happen to her life. You can see that she really wanted to watch the practice to me and since I am her best friend, who I am to decline? And yes, she's right. I told her that I will pay her back after she accompanied me on that anime event in Tokyo.

"Fine."

"Yes! Thank you, Y/N-chan! You're the best."

Oh God, no.

= = = = =

The gym is, yes, empty. There are just a few students sitting at the bleachers but you can count them within fingers. I came here with Kenma and my best friend that's why we really get a nice (no, not nice for me) spot, a spot right behind the bench of the players. Kenma opened up the topic of inviting me to be the manager of the team while walking to this destination but I didn't support it.

I acted like I was checking Natsuki Hanae's update on my phone.

"Hi, Y/N-chan!" It was Yaku.

I flashed a smile at him before he eagerly sat beside me. I can feel Kuroo's stares at us but of course, I just ignored it.

"How are you?"

"I'm fine, Yaku! So, the official games are about to start?"

"Yup!" He nodded. "And we're going to have a practice match with another team next week that's why Kuroo decided to have our daily practices again after classes."

When Kuroo's name was mentioned, I mentally frowned.

"That's great! Good luck and do your best, okay?"

"Thank you, Y/N-chan!"

When Yaku stood up from his seat to join his other teammates warming up, he stopped in his tracks before looking at me with a little bit confused face.

"D-Do you need anything, Yaku?" I asked, looking up.

"We're actually looking for a manager right now, Y/N-"

"Oh yeah, I heard. My brother told me."

He smiled. "I think you're fit for the position!"

Oh Yaku, Kenma told me that too.

I scratched the back of my head, looking at the floor. "I don't think I can manage a team like this, you know? I don't know what a manager actually do and-"

"The team can help you."

My hands turned into fists as my jaw tensed. I looked up, only to see Kuroo standing proudly in front of me with his right arm around Yaku's shoulders. I tried my best to keep my nerves calmed down, my tone: normal and my face: smiling.

"I bet you can look for someone else-"

"Oya?" Kuroo hummed, inclining his head as if he was checking me. "What's the point of looking for someone else when you can do the job?"

"But I am personally declining, Kuroo."

Kuroo. I made sure to emphasize his name, adding tone and hardness on it as I spit it out.

He chuckled. "You're what the team wanted. I want you..."

Fucking shit.

"...for the team."

I stood up, totally losing composure, and control of myself. That's it, I'm done with him! I don't want to cause a commotion inside this gym and I don't want to interrupt their practice. I really just can't stand Kuroo's attitude and any moment right now, I just wanted to slap his face.

Something in him irks me.

Irks me so damn much.

"I decline."

And with that, I grabbed my bag before walking outside the place. I heard my friend called my name but I didn't bother looking back and instead, I ran towards the train station and immediately grabbed a ticket for a ride.

That's when I realized I was crying.

Why?

"Damn that Kuroo."

Why is he being like that?

I just really can't be around him! Why?! Why did he play with my feelings before? Why did I give myself to him?

Something in him irks me. And I bet, those unanswered questions are the main reasons. I haven't gotten an explanation, a proper one, from him. He didn't even apologize to me. I can't still look him directly at the eyes because of the past that is still very fresh on my mind and on my heart.

Kuroo told me he loved me.

But he also told me that it was just a game and unfortunately, I lost because I fell for him.