Chapter 6: Cats, Potions, and Mail

🌺⚡Lily's POV⚡🌺

First day at school and I'm the first one in class. Hermione comes in right behind me and we find our way to the front of the class.

More students come in and we begin to take notes. I don't see Harry or Ron anywhere in the classroom.

The doors to the class open and I turn to see Harry and Ron walk in.

I sigh and go back to my note-taking. The boys walk in and head to the front of the room.

"Made it. Can you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if we were late?" Ron says.

The cat on the desk jumps off and turns into Professor McGonagall and she walks up to the boys.

"That was bloody brilliant," Ron says and I put my hand over my mouth to prevent myself from laughing.

"Thank you Mister Weasley. Perhaps it would be better if I transfigured Mister Potter or yourself into a pocket watch. That way one of you might be on time." McGonagall says.

"We got lost." Harry says.

"Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seat," McGonagall says and walks back to her desk as Harry and Ron sit down.

☇≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁≁☇

I sit next to Harry in our Potions class as we wait for our teacher to come. Professor Snape bursts into the classroom, walking quickly.

"There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few...." Snape says as he looks at Draco, then at me.
"Who possesses the predisposition. I can teach you to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper on death."

I smile, getting even more excited for this class. Snape gives me a small smile before glaring at Harry.

"Then again... maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not pay attention."

I look at Harry who was writing down what Snape was saying before. I elbow him, causing him to stop and look up at Snape, putting his quill down.

"Mister Potter.... One of our new celebrities. Tell me what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Snape says. Harry shakes his head.

"You don't know? Well let's try again. Where, Mister Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" Snape asks.

"I don't know, sir." Harry says.

"And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

"I don't know, sir." Harry says again.

"Pity... Clearly, fame isn't everything... is it, Mister Potter?" Snape says and I raise my hand.

"Yes, Miss Potter?" Snape says.

"Might I answer those questions?" I ask, putting down my hand.

"I'm... listening," Snape says as he raises an eyebrow.

"Asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful that it is known as the Draft of the Living Dead. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it can save you from most poisons. As for Monkshood and Wolfsbane, there is no difference. They are the same plant which also goes by the name of Aconite." I say.