The French Revolution (Continued)

So King Louis XVI was no longer quite in power now. He would find demand after demand from the revolutionary government and he had to accept the decisions, fearing they would strip away his privileges otherwise.

One day the King and the Queen tried to flee but was discovered and sent back to the palace. But now it was clear that they had no support for the revolution and his powers were diminished to almost nothing. But some people in the Jacobin club still were angry that he wasn't entirely removed.

So one day they staged a protest. The National Guard rushed to quell the protest and some protesters were killed. This showed a clear division between those we wanted the king to stay as a simple figurehead and those who wanted him completely removed.

Some dude made a clever contraption to ensure a quick and painless death when executed. The blade falls like thunder and snaps the neck of the victim. The victim is no more. This was introduced as the new method of execution.

Then again fear took over. On a much larger scale. The other countries in Europe feared that revolutionary ideas would spread to them. The National Assembly, now the Legislative Assembly, feared that those countries would attack them. So they decided to attack them first.

France declared war on Austria in April 1792 and immediately got obliterated. The high level dudes of Austria also warned that if anything happened to the king of France, he would burn Paris to the ground. (now that's FIREPOWER)

But the threat did the exact opposite of what it was supposed to. The people were enraged by the threat and they stormed the palace. King Louis the XVI was forced to flee to the Legislative Assembly, which had many members of the Jacobin club. Thus a vote was held and it was decided that the monarchy would be suspended entirely. King Louis XVI was just plain old Louis now.

The Legislative Assembly became the National Convention and they officially declared the French Republic and society underwent a huge change.

Ideas like democracy and equality from the Enlightenment were rapidly being implanted but they seemed secondary to fear and a thirst for blood. Churches, the palace and even October didn't survive. The calendar was replaced by another one with weird names for the months and the churches were overtaken by the CULT OF REASON. (catchy name)