Chapter Three: Rylee

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

Author's Note: We hit 1K reads on Sticking to Tradition. Thank you so much! I appreciate all of you who are reading this book. It is a work in progress and I pray my writing doesn't scare you away. Thank you for reading. Please feel free to Vote and Comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mother-Daughter Awkward

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Did I plan to spend the night scrolling through cheerleading gear on my phone? No. But, that is precisely what I am doing. Cheer-Wear-4-U launched their new line, and Mikah and I were talking on the phone about which items we liked. It was as much action we would get since our boyfriends were football players with extra practice sessions. Did I know I was signing up for little to no time with my boyfriend when I agreed to be his girlfriend? Yes. Don't mean I enjoy it, though.

     "Hayd said he would take me if Coach Fields gives them the weekend off," she says, her voice a bit down. Mikah was the type of girl who needed attention. If I were struggling with the lack of one on one time, she was a train wreck. It was understandable. She and Hayden spent the entire summer together. These practice sessions were hours too long for her liking.

     "I can't wait until Coach Lawson extends our hours so, we will be busy too," I huff. Mikah agrees immediately. She jumps into a conversation about tryouts and stunts. Her voice becomes muffled as I tap open Theo's chat. His last message stares at me. It's a simple "Be safe, babe" with a kissy face emoji. Those words were normal now. After being apart for the summer, Theo kept sending 'Be safe' messages. He said it was for 'Just in case' purposes. It was cute but silly.

"...going to do it?" Mikah asks, interrupting my thoughts.

"What?"

     Mikah repeats, "The tradition. Are you and Theo going to do it?" I paused. Were we? Theo never mentioned it. I would think he would tell me if we were. It is not as if we followed the tradition properly last time. In fact, we didn't. Theo added his twist to it. But, if we did follow the tradition, that would mean Theo and I would have to take that step. Not that I didn't want to make it with him. I'm just not sure if I want our first time to happen because of the stupid tradition.

"Earth to Rylee!" Mikah shrieks on the phone.

"No need to scream, Mikah."

    "Well, don't doze off in the middle of a question," she retorts. I chuckle at her. I could see her rolling her eyes while tossing her hair off her shoulders. Mikah is spicy. She says my sweet nature balances her spice. Destiny often said the two of us together were like some badly named chicken dish on a menu. You don't like how it sounds, but when you try it, it tastes oddly good.

"Theo didn't say anything. I'll have to ask. What about you and Hayden?"

      Mikah exhales, "I'm open to it if he is. But part of me doesn't want to do it, you know? Like the tradition is so stupid, but it has proven to give us wins." I stay silent. The tradition is a hoax, and Theo and I know it. But, we couldn't go screaming it to the school populace, who were raised to believe it is a golden rule.

     "If we don't participate, it means Hayden and I would be separated, and that seems like the worse option of the bunch," she continues. I nod and agree with her, even though she is unable to see me. A silence lingers on the call as we both weigh in the options of our situation. We both didn't like the idea of being separated from our boyfriends, but was following the tradition worth losing our self-worth?

     A knock sounds throughout my room. I turn to the door to see my mother slowly opening it. She mouths a few words to me. She's wondering if I can spare her a minute. I nod. She comes in and takes a seat on the bed.

    "My mom wants to talk to me. I'll call you back, Mikah." I said, sitting up in the bed. Mikah mutters a quick parting before ending the call. My mom turns to me. She is looking at me solemnly. My instincts are to shrink myself under her gaze because I can tell how serious the conversation is going to be.

    "Ry, sweetie. I don't want to pry in your life, but how are things with Theo?" She inches closer to me, but her eyes never leaving mines. In the dim light of the room, I can see how much I look like my mother. Her curly hair is wildly resting on her shoulders. She is wearing one of my dad's old football shirts and some gray pajama shorts. Her rimmed glasses are the only thing strongly different from the two of us in this lighting.

"Things are ok," I answer shyly. I have never talked to my mom about boys. I never had anyone serious enough to speak to her about. This was not any fault of mines. Ryland was a shield for all boys until Theo. How Theo managed to convince him is still a mystery to me.

"I'm getting straight to the point." My mother cups my hands in hers and stares seriously at me. I struggle to swallow the lump stuck in my throat. She exhales, "Do you need me to take you to the doctor to get birth control?"

     To say I almost choked is an understatement. I wanted the world to swallow me whole. My mother wanted me to get birth control. It shouldn't be surprising to me. She got pregnant in senior year with Ryland. She wanted to make sure I protected me. It was courageous of her to suggest, but it didn't stop the horror of my mother thinking I was having sex.

      Seeing the look on my face, she continues, "I know this is embarrassing, but I want you and Theo as comfortable and responsible during the season." She was serious. I know she was. But, the realization that I would have to agree with this dawned on me. Refusing her help would mean I was okay with having sex recklessly. It would also spark questions about the tradition that I couldn't have with my mom. Yet, I didn't want to go to the hospital and get birth control with my mom, who was excited that I was having sex. But I wasn't.

I plaster on a fake smile and nod, "Sure, we can go."

"Yeah?" Her eyes widen in enthusiasm. I nod again. She hugs me tightly, brushing my hair as she used to when I was a child. Holding a hand over her chest, "I want you safe, Lele. I don't want this season to be the end-all for you. You have such a bright future ahead of you."

"I know, mom," I assure her. She pulls away from me and smiles. It the kind of smile your mom gives you when she is proud of you and is trying to hold back the tears forming in her eyes.

"If you and Theo need condoms, you can let me know, okay?" She blurts, and I freeze. Birth control was already painful to discuss with my mom, did she have to throw condoms in there too? She stares at me, waiting for my response. The awkwardness is so stiff in the room, I wish the floors would swallow me.

"Tessa!" My father shouts, saving me from further embarrassment. My mother stands up, "Let me go see what your father wants." She gives me a warm smile and leaves the room. I exhale out loud. I hold my hand to my chest, trying to steady my breathing.

      My phone rings off, signaling a new text message. I grab my phone and unlock it. It's a message from Theo.

Come outside.