Chapter Twenty-Six: Theo

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mending Old Wounds ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the year was progressing, Devenport rekindled its light of victories. We won our last few games and possibly solidified our chances of going to the playoffs. Things with Rylee were progressing well. Even with our busy schedules, we found time for each other. Did that mean a lot of quickies in my car? Yes. Yes, it did. We both were insatiable. And the sex helped with the pent-up frustrations from our daily lives. She was the remedy for every strenuous practice or an intense conversation with my parents. 

My parents weren't taking my independence very well. Zaria decided to financially support me since I had zero time in my day to get a job. It wasn't an actual cut off from my parents. I just didn't ask for anything from them. Money was a big no. I considered parking my car, but Zaria convinced me to keep it. She claimed to return it would upset our parents more than necessary. I didn't care. They deserved the discomfort I gave for making Rylee feel insignificant in my life. But, I didn't want to make things worse for Zaria, so I compromised. 

However, things took a surprising turn when UW asked me to visit their practice on Saturday. They were unable to commit to one of our practice sessions and opted for Hayden, Chris, Devan, and I to visit the campus. We each got different dates. Mine was first. I kept tight-lipped about it, only telling Zaria about it. She was thrilled and offered to take me. I didn't mention it to my parents. Why would I? I didn't want them ruining another dream of mine. Zaria, however, slipped it into a conversation with mom and the house became a soap opera. Mom started crying while dad guilt-tripped me. To him, I was betraying the family and disregarding the time and love he and mom invested into me. I reminded them of my promise. Until they accepted her, I was going to live my life as I pleased. They didn't take it very well. 

So, when Saturday came, I opted for the earliest departure time. I practically dragged Zaria out of the house. She grumbled the entire ride about not having enough caffeine, but I didn't care. I did not want to endure another sad story from my parents. They knew the offer was on the table. Until they agreed, I wasn't budging. 

When we got to UW, it was like seeing stars for the first time, breathtaking. The lush campus was vast with sleek buildings in every direction. There were statues of prominent figures surrounding the area. The campus was clean but bursting with students either socializing or rushing off to their next class. I saw myself doing the same, sporting my UW gear. I was more than excited. 

Before I went to my session, Zaria and I met up with Tatum. He looked different. His once built frame was bulkier from the added muscle. He grew a mustache. I'm not sure if it worked for him, but I did not comment on it, unlike Zaria. She teased him endlessly for it. Tatum gave me a quick synopsis of his life at UW. It was very football centered, but I didn't mind. Being with him again made me realize UW wasn't just a dream. It is like home. With Rylee admitted here, it would be perfect. 

The time drifted away as Tatum, Zaria, and I spoke. Eventually, Zaria got desperate for a coffee fix and left us alone. Tatum switched the conversation to his love life, not that anyone asked. He claimed he and Khloe were over. They couldn't make long-distance work. There was an unexpected sadness that coursed through me. I felt queasy. Tatum and Khloe were like the ultimate couple in Devenport. If they couldn't survive the long-distance, could the rest of us? I shook the thought away. Rylee and I would be at UW together in the fall. There were no alternatives.