Chapter Six: Theo

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

Author's Note: Here is chapter six, as promised. I'm currently trying to finish chapter fifteen of this book, but I keep getting writer's block. Hopefully, I will be able to finish it along with chapter sixteen by the end of the day. Thank you so much for reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Reliving the Past ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was one of those days. Hayden and I were chilling at Adelanston Middle School out by the field. The last time I was here, I was drunk and heartbroken. Today, I was just a bit annoyed about Rylee and I's relationship. Things were okay, but I just couldn't get my jealousy under control. I'm ashamed to admit it, but the effects of that situation traumatized me, even if it was only a miscommunication. Preston was a thing of the past, but Jordan's presence triggered that same feeling of inadequacy. The worse part is I can't express any of this to Rylee. She would try reassuring me, but it wasn't her problem or something she could fix. It was a personal problem I needed to resolve. 

But today's visit had nothing to do with me. It was about Hayden. Besides being conflicted with ideas of breaking the tradition, he and Mikah were going through one of their 'misunderstandings.' In other words, Hayden is upset about Mikah's lack of enthusiasm for something he cared about. This episode was about her not sharing the same opinions about wearing his Varsity jacket. He saw it as a rite of passage in their relationship. She saw it as him being possessive. Even though she wasn't wrong, I understood Hayden's intent. He wanted everyone to know she was his girl. Wearing our jackets gave us a sense of pride. I loved seeing Rylee in my jacket, but if she ever felt overwhelmed by the idea, I would have to compromise. Hopefully, Rylee continued having zero complaints about wearing my jacket, so we would never have to reach that point. 

Hayden was having a tantrum breakdown in these small intervals. He was on his fourth one. Hayden would exhale loudly and scratch his head. The scratching would intensify, and he would groan frustratedly. Then, he would kick up his legs and make some indescribable sounds, much like a little toddler in time out. It would end with him resting his head in his hands. Between these tantrums, he would mutter something along the lines of Mikah being unreasonable or not liking him as much as she said she did. He would sneak a look at his phone and groan before beginning his vicious cycle. 

What was I doing? I was sitting here moping about my selfish desires of locking Rylee away from every male species until she agreed to wear the ring on her finger. Yeah, seeing that ring on her necklace bothered me. No, I didn't want to rush her commitment to me, but part of me hoped she was ready to take that step. Then, there was the matter of discussing the responsibilities she would have to endure if she committed to me. Was I holding off on having the conversation intentionally? Maybe. I know having the conversation wouldn't make her commit to me. Having to commit your life to the Bradshaw image is a sacrifice even I struggled with accepting. My parents are still upset about the fight with Preston. It was another reason I was so upset. I got an earful about how my actions disappointed them and potentially tarnished the name of Bradshaw in the area. It made me sick to my stomach. 

"How am I being possessive? Is it a crime for me to want my girl to wear my jacket? Is it wrong of me to want everyone to know I'm her boyfriend? I don't get it!" Hayden rants, interrupting my thoughts. I pass him a bottle of soda. We were in training, so alcohol was off-limits. He takes the bottle and opens it. He groans again before taking a mouthful. 

"I don't get it. Does she not want to be my girlfriend? Like everyone's girlfriend on any sports team at our school wears their boyfriend's jackets. Rylee wears yours! They're best friends. Why doesn't she want to wear mines, huh?" He fumes further. I toss him a bag of chips. He catches it effortlessly and opens it. He shoves a few in his mouth angrily. He continues talking, but I can't understand anything outside of Mikah's name and jacket.