Chapter Seventeen: Rylee

Disclaimer: All characters and settings are purely fictional. If there are any similarities to real people or places, it is merely coincidental. The plot is written by me and not copied from any other writer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Uncertain Back Story
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The school is split. There is no other way of saying it. Ever since word got out about some of the football players breaking the long-standing school tradition, people have joined their side of the war. Arguments were ensuing in every class. Even the teachers were participating. Barely any teaching got done because debates began in the classrooms, and it was difficult to redirect the focus of the class. Most of the students were engrossed in the dialogue to appreciate the lack of work happening in the classroom. 

I spent most of my classes listening to the main points of each different side. Those who were for the tradition supported their statements with the implied success it gave. They clung to the warm fuzzy route of it being a tradition followed by our families and our town for generations. Those against the tradition argue for the rights of the girls who were forced to participate. They advocated for respecting females and their right to choose. Each side refuted the other. Those against the tradition argued the wins were the effects of the football program at Devenport. The football program was intensive and sponsored immensely by local businesses. Even the top football colleges used our school as a feeder program for theirs. However, those for the tradition argued that the girls participated willingly. They also contended that football players only did well when they were relaxed and not tense from sexual frustration. The back and forth made my head hurt. 

I said nothing during this debate. How could I? I understood each perspective. Well, minus the whole sexual tension point. The tradition was passed down through generations. Many students were born because of it. A lot of families in the town began from it. People found the love of their lives. But not every story was a love story. Some girls missed out on opportunities because of this tradition. Girls were forced into loveless relationships and situations they didn't want. Some girls had to endure sexual intercourse with guys they didn't like or weren't attracted to. The rights of these girls were ignored. In so many ways, I understood, but I still didn't get it. Why was the tradition made?

It wasn't until I was in Mrs. Branson's class, and a few other students were debating again did I have the chance to ask. I raised my hand. Mrs. Branson's face lit up when she realized I was requesting to speak. She was just listening to a few students poorly explain their arguments, and Mrs. Brans was trying so hard not to seem bored. 

"Yes, Miss Scott?" She says. The students turn to face me, even the two who were debating a few seconds ago. 

"I know you were once a student at Devenport High," I start. 

Mrs. Branson nods, "That is correct." 

"Are you aware of why or how the tradition came about?" I ask, noticing the students face her eagerly. Even Theo sits up. He's not a big fan of Literature. Usually, he just lounges off in class, trying to pass the time. His dislike comes from his reserve personality. Literature requires you to speak up and share your thoughts, none of which are activities Theo enjoyed doing. 

"Well, I'm still pretty young to know the exact reasons, but there was one story people always told when I was school," she responds. She adjusts her glasses. She walks over to the front of her desk and slides up. 

"No one knows for sure when the tradition began, but some believe it began in the late 1960s. As I remembered it, there were a few football players at the time who were all conveniently dating during the start of the season. The players made a pact to lose their virginities before the end of the season. It should be mentioned that this was a task in itself because Devenport High had not made it further than a few games. They usually lost them all," Mrs. Branson explains, the class is quiet and attentive. The silence is enough to hear a pin drop. Theo's eyes are locked on our teacher. He seemed engrossed in the story. 

         Mrs. Branson takes a quick sip of her coffee before continuing, "Well, they all manage to lose their virginities. By a twist of fate, they began winning their games. For the first time, they made it into the playoffs, and eventually, they won. The players associated their wins with their pact to lose their virginities. Originally, the tradition began with football players collecting the virginities of young girls as some kind of sacrifice for their wins."

"So, what changed it?" Theo asked, surprising the class and Mrs. Branson. 

"Well, the times, I guess. With girls becoming more liberated with their bodies and more awareness is brought about the myths surrounding virginity, it shifted to just having sex. Not that the football players cared about virginities, they wanted sex. So, the reasoning behind the tradition became what it is presently."

One of the students for the tradition states, "Well, there is a correlation between the sex pact and the wins. I mean, how were they able to win if they weren't able to before?"

"That's not necessarily true," Theo combats. Mrs. Branson's eyebrows peak in curiosity. She turns to him and asks, "Interesting. Why do you think it isn't true, Mr. Bradshaw? I would think your opinions would agree with Mr. Dennis' considering you are a football player."

Theo frowns, "I disagree because I am a football player. Believing that tradition is the reason they won is discrediting their skills. We can't just assume a pact is responsible for their win. Maybe there was a new coach. Or they attempted a new play. Or they built their skills adequately to win the games."

"So, you're saying you're against the tradition, Theo?" A quiet girl with a back sweater asks. I think her name is Amanda or Amy. I'm unsure, but it is shocking to hear her speak. 

"I am. It was my best friend Hayden and I that made the decision to break the tradition," he admits. My eyes widen. Him and Hayden? Did they start this? 

Mrs. Branson chuckles, "My, my, my. I can't say I expected you to be this interesting. If you don't mind sharing, but what inspired this revolution of yours?"

He looks at me, "I realized I didn't want to be the person stripping the rights away from someone I cared about. If I care about her, I should respect her and ensure others respect her too."

The class awes at Theo's declaration of feelings for me. I blush at his words. My heart was drumming loudly and erratically against my chest. Usually, I can handle when Theo tells me sweet things in private, but this was so different. It was unlike him, and the thought of him going out of his comfort zone to make me feel appreciated drives the butterflies in my stomach insane. 

"Ah, young love. I admire your passion, Mr. Bradshaw," Mrs. Brason compliments. Theo nods in appreciation, and I find myself nodding too. I admired his passion. I smile at Theo.

Damn it, I fell.