My Boss's Wife PT. 10

🎶Listen To The Music 🎶

"Well, I am glad she is okay," I said.

A few minutes later, they left my office, and I went back to work. I worked most of the rest of the day. I was even working a bit over to catch up. Juliet went home on time. I had a few more things I wanted to wrap up before I left. I found myself yawning and trying hard to look at the screen.

"Stop it," I said, shaking my head. "At this point, you are doing more harm than good."

I turned off my computer, making sure to leave a note on my desk to recheck some of my work with fresh eyes just in case I messed something up.

The offices were dark as I walked out into the hallway. Only the light from the front desk illuminated the halls. I got into the elevator and went down to the basement.

When I got to my car, a person was leaning against another vehicle. I recognized them right away. "Hi Steven," I said as I got close.

"Congrats," Steven said as he looked at me. He walked over towards my car. "Donald is impressed."

I smiled as I knew it was Donald that stopped the second attempt, as Chairman his vote counted higher than all of them.

While I was intimidated by Donald, I knew that he was a fair man. Everything he did was by the books. I am sure had doubts about me and my ideas, now with today's events, those doubts were sure to disappear.

"And you're not?" I said as I stared back at him.

"Someone is helping you," Steve nodded. "I am sure of it. It's not Tim he couldn't pull half of what you are doing out of thin air, but someone is whispering in your ear, showing you the way."

"Or," I said with a smile. "I looked at all of you while I was carrying the mail around, watching how everyone conducted business and taking mental notes."

Steve smiled and nodded. "Have a good night. I will be watching."

"Don't watch too hard," I replied. I waited until he left then got in my car.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Morning," I said as I got into the elevator.

Jack did not answer this time. "The silent treatment," I smiled. "That's new, even for you."

"Shut it," Jack replied.

"There you go," I smiled.

The door opened, and I let him do his usual angry walk out of the elevator. "Hey Ladies," I said as I signed in after him.

"You have a visitor," one of the ladies said. I had tried to remember their names, but I always got them mixed up.

"Thank you," I said as I walked to the visitor's area.

"Are you Derek?" a lady asked.

"Yes," I replied, shaking the lady's hand.

"I am Shirley," she introduced herself. "I am Mr. Langston's aide."

"Ah," I nodded. "Come with me to my office. We can talk privately there."

Shirley followed me to my office. She walked slowly and with a slight limp. I guessed she was in her later years.

"Shirley," Juliet said, walking over to the lady and helping her onto the couch.

"Thank you," Shirley said as she sat down.