My Boss's Wife PT. 13

🎶 Listen To The Music 🎶

All good things eventually come to an end

Jack had to stay at the hospital overnight for observation, other than a few bruises and a black eye. He would be fine. It seemed Steven had decided to go to Winthrop, another competitor. By the time I got home and undressed, the shit had hit the proverbial fan.

Within hours he had spilled his guts on most of the wrongdoings and secrets of the company. Even though it was late at night, most of the late-night news media had already aired the dirty laundry, including our CEO's mental illness.

"Well," I said, sitting down as the first of what I knew was many phone calls came through. "All good things," I said as I picked up my phone.

By the time the morning hit, and I got out of bed, my phone had multiple messages. My email box was almost full. I had given up trying to put out the fire after two in the morning. Clients were leaving the company in droves.

"Morning," I said to the front office women, who regularly would be all smiles. Now their faces were full of dread, they knew the ship was sinking, and there was no miracle cure to save it.

Juliet looked at me as I entered. "All of them," she said.

I nodded, not expecting anything less. It happened overnight, but with all the stuff that had happened before last night, there was no reason for anyone to stay. "Take the rest of the day off," I shrugged. "I will go talk to Tim; I have no doubt..."

"He is my father," Juliet blurted out.

"Who?" I said, looking at her in shock. I knew who she meant, but the news hit me like a sledgehammer. "What?"

"I didn't know until three years ago," Juliet said. "My mother never told me anything about my father, then when she passed away, I was looking through her things, and I found a picture of the two of them."

Juliet sat down and told me how she contacted Tim and told him about her mother and the pictures. Tim never knew he had a child, let alone a daughter. He helped her with her career, and eventually, she landed the job with the firm.

"He put you with me, didn't he?" I said.

Juliet nodded. I shook my head. "I'm sorry, I should have told you."

"Yes, you should," I shouted back. "Well, his great plan fell to shit, didn't it?"

"You have to..." Juliet started to say.

"Forget it," I said as I stood up. "I tried, and I failed so," I walked towards the door.

Tim was in a meeting when I stormed into the room. "Now what?" I asked.

"We are talking about that," Tim said as he looked at me. "I think it is only fair if we..."

"What?" I asked as I sat down. "Sell the company?"

"No," Tim shook his head. "I was telling them if we fold and do not go after the clients for breach of contracts, we can give all our employees a half-year salary and recommendations if they need them."

Even in my angry state of mind, I had to admit that it was a fair deal. No lawsuits, no new bad media. We let everyone go and give them a well-deserved reimbursement. "You agree?" Tim asked.

"Yes," I nodded.

After the meeting, I approached Tim with what I was told. "Surprised she lasted this long," Tim said as he looked at me. "It wasn't my idea to keep it from you if that's what you are thinking," he said with a smile. "Juliet has a thing about using my name. She thinks it brings down her merit or makes people give her special treatment. You must understand before she met me, she thought she was alone, Juliet did not know she had a stepbrother or a father. Juliet still likes to do things on her own."