Chapter 1: Beginnings

Elysium, a single landmass in a sea of clouds. However, it wasn't always this way. My parents told me that Elysium was once split up into multiple titans roaming the Cloud Sea. They always told me stories of how a team of heroes saved the earth from an entity of pure destruction. I always that it was a myth as a kid but as I grew older, I started to understand that it all could have been true. But before I go into all that I should introduce myself. My name is Nick, your run-of-the-mill 17-year-old boy from Leftheria.

 My name is Nick, your run-of-the-mill 17-year-old boy from Leftheria

I live with my mom and my older sister-

"Nick! Quit monologuing remember that your first mission at the merc guild is today. You wouldn't want to be late would you?" My sister, Raye, called to me from downstairs. I put on my merc uniform and headed down the stairs. "Jeez took you long enough, I thought I would have to go ahead of myself," she exclaimed.

"Sorry, I tend to get lost in thought sometimes. Anyway, do you have to follow me on my first mission, I mean you're one of the best mercenaries they have at the Leftheria branch. Shouldn't you have more important missions to go on?" I questioned her until a rather strong force on the back of my head, next thing I knew I was on the ground with double vision. "Oww..."

"Haha! If you're gonna be a mercenary you should have seen that coming!" A floating blade hovered past my view as I got up from my surprise attack. "Besides you're our little brother, there's no way we would miss out on your first mission. Also, maybe we'll find some strong monsters along the way that I can fight." 

"Zenobia, you know there won't be any strong monsters since I'm a rookie. Speaking of the mission we should get going before the commander yells at me for being late." I begin to walk out the door with my sisters in tow to the Leftheria branch of the mercenary guild. When we got there it was already bustling with tons of mercenaries and residents of the town due to the market being so close to the guild. I followed some of the other mercenaries to the commander's office since I didn't remember where it was located.

"Ah, you must be the recruit! Raye has told me much about you. My name is Commander Escron, the leader of the Leftherian mercenary branch. I'm sure you've already met my blade Newt." I felt a shiver down my spine at the mention of her name. Her training was insanely tough for rookies. At least I built a little muscle when the training period was done.

"Yep commander, I'm telling you he has potential!" Raye exclaims in her usual cheery attitude. "Although he has no blade, and used to laze around the house before mom made him join the mercs with me." I shot her a look of slight embarrassment. It's only been five minutes and my sister is already messing with my reputation.

"Haha, it's okay Nick, many rookies don't have a blade when they first join. When Raye first joined, she barely had the skills to beat a mere Buloofo, but with due time and with her blade Zenobia, they were able to become one of my best mercenaries. I'm sure you'll do just fine."

"Yep! They even gave me the nickname: Sky Striker! Pretty cool right? Anyway enough about me, what about my little bro commander, his first mission is today!" Raye says to the commander. Although she is probably one of the strongest fighters in Leftheria, she never brags too much about it. I even heard from some of the mercenaries higher up that she even acted as an escort for royalty once.