𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐼

𝙽𝙴𝚆𝚂𝙸𝙴𝚂 𝙾𝚄𝚃 𝙸𝙽 𝚃𝙾𝚆𝙽

Up on a rooftop, in the middle of Neserdnia, a kingdom in France, two friends lay sleeping

Up on a rooftop, in the middle of Neserdnia, a kingdom in France, two friends lay sleeping. Louis and (Y/N). They've been best friends since they were nine years old. They were both newsies, barely getting by. An old alleyway was their home that they stayed in with some other newsies. But (Y/N) and Louis always slept on the rooftop of a nearby building, underneath the stars.

   Louis yawned and sat up, rubbing his eyes. He grabbed his hat and put it on. He held onto the railing and heaved himself up. "What are you doin'?" (Y/N) asked, groggily. "The mornin' bell ain't rung yet."

   "I wanna beat the other guys to the streets," Louis replied. "I don't want anyone should see... I uh... je ne marche pas très bien ces derniers temps (I haven't been walking very well lately)." Louis picked up the crutch that was laying next to where he slept.

   "You're kiddin' right?" (Y/N) said, sitting up. "Do you know how many guys would fake a limp for sympathy? That bum leg of yours is a goldmine."

   "Yeah, but if someone gets the idea I can't make it on my own," Louis said, "they'll throw me back into the orphanage." He walked over and sat down next to (Y/N). "I don't wanna go back there."

   "I know, I know," (Y/N) said. "But we won't. I promise. We'll stay here together in my... my penthouse!"

   Louis chuckled. "You're crazy."

   "Why? 'Cause I like a breath of fresh air?" (Y/N) smiled at her best friend. Her smile faded as she looked out onto the streets of Neserdnia. "We gotta get out of this kingdom one day, Louis."

   "But everyone wants to come to Nerserdnia," Louis said.

   "Oh, Neserdnia is fine if you've got a big, strong door to keep it out," (Y/N) replied. "You can keep your small life in a big city if ya want. But give me a big life in small town."

   "Small town?" Louis repeated.

   "In the western continents, there's a new town that was just built. They call it Santa Fe. Read about it in the papes," (Y/N) explained. She sighed.

   "They say folks is dyin' to get here," (Y/N) sang. "Me, I'm dyin' to get away
To a little town out west that's spankin' new
And while I ain't never been there
I can see it clear as day."
(Y/N) turned to face Louis. "If you want, I bet'cha you could see it to."

   "Yeah, right," Louis scoffed.

   (Y/N) scooted closer to Louis and put an arm around his shoulders. "Close your eyes," she sang, and Louis closed his eyes. "Come with me
Where it's clean and green and pretty
And they went and made a city out of clay.
" (Y/N) removed her arm and Louis opened his eyes. He looked at (Y/N). "Why, the minute that you get there
Folks'll walk right up and say
'Welcome home, Son
Welcome home to Santa Fe~'
Plantin' crops
Splittin' rails
Swapin' tails around the fire
Oh, 'cept for Sunday where you lie around all day~
Soon your friends are more like family
And they's beggin' you to stay~
Ain't that neat
Livin' sweet
In Santa Fe~.
"