Chapter 6

The next morning Cleo awoke to sun rays shining on her face, morning breath souring her taste buds and a cold mattress beneath her fingertips. Sitting up, the covers pooled around her waist as she looked about and listened for sounds of C's moving around in the bathroom. It only took her a few moments to realize that he wasn't there. And the chill from the sheets confirmed, he'd been gone for a while. Dog. Where'd he get ghost to this early and why hadn't he woke her up to come too? Determined to stick her antennas all in his Kool-Aide, she climbed out of the bed and walked over to the armchair she'd discarded her clothes in the night before. After she dressed herself to look like a repeat of yesterday, she left the room, and then cleared the distance of the hall. When she reached the stairs, she descended them two at a time.

At the bottom, C's and Ant's voices drifted to her from the kitchen.

"Damn, niño. After only three days?" She heard Ant ask. "I thought for sure you liked this one. Never seen you nut up like this before."

"I do." C's replied in a tired voice. "Shit happens. You know how it go. 'Sides your game slicker than mine. Keena ain't the only one you dicking down, holmes. Don't even go there with me, yo. Your ass'll have better luck with a scratch off. I'm telling you, boy."

Ant's laughter cut through the building tension. "Aw 'ight. I'm wrong, but I already told you. That one up there, needs a couple of more pecan seasons. Ain't no way you gone be able to keep yo' dick in your pants until it's legal to fuck her. For real, folk. I don't care how much you like her." He argued. "So you might as well tell her what it is, before she finds out on her own, and fuck around and get her feelings hurt. Shit. I can't always be around to block the bullshit."

They were talking about her behind her back like a couple of old women. Why? She thought for sure Ant and she had come to some kind of understanding the night before. But she was wrong. There he sat still rapping that same old tired rap about her being too young for C's. Where the hell did he jump off? Whatever was on her man's mind, it was on him to let her know if she needed to know. She hated when nosey ass people refused to stay in their lanes, always assuming there cents were more than two.

"Fuck you, yo." C's countered. "Block yo' own bullshit. I handles mine. All day every day-,"

Not wanting to get caught ear hustling, Cleo entered the kitchen. C's rant ended mid-sentence, while Ant's gaze became more interested in the bowl of cereal in front of him.

"Morning, bae." C's held out a hand to her to come to him.

She ignored it and took the seat across from him. "What he talking about?" She asked, waving her hand in Ant's direction without looking at him. "What don't you want me to find out on my own? What's gonna hurt my feelings?" This time she glanced at Ant, who still hadn't looked up from his breakfast. "Que pasa? Ain't that what you say all the time? Now you tell me what's really up, C's."

"You, baby." He reached across the small oak table to grab her hands. "You're always, what's up with me." Tangling his fingers with hers, he stroked the back of her hand with his thumb. "The other shit Ant over there runnin' his mouth about..." C's lifted his shoulders in a lazy shrug. "I'm more lost than you."

"Yeah?" Cleo snatched her hand from his, and folded her arms across her chest, as she tooted up her lips in an, 'I don't believe that shit fashion.' "'Cause it sounded to me like you knew what he was talkin' about when you were goin' back and forth with him. Even though his game is slicker than yours."

"So what, you were ear hustling at the door?" C's asked, a frown creasing his features.

She shook her head. "Naw, playa. Don't try to flip this shit on me. All I did was come downstairs." She waved a hand between them. "Y'all were the ones lyric droppin'. About me." Slapping the table, she nailed both of their asses with a unit. "Behind my back. If y'all so G up in this piece, talk that talk to my face. You stay hollering about your block C's. Keep yo' shit street, then."