Chapter 1 - Hello, Surigao. Goodbye, Pampanga

"Why are you breaking up with me?! Why do you always insist on going back to that city?!"

I heard Dad shouting at Mom and asking her the question I expected him to ask. They've been like this for two months now.

My Dad has been a land broker for eight consecutive years and he's about to quit working because he's diagnosed with Glioblastoma multiforme. He's been vomiting blood, and suffering facial weakness and double vision. The doctor who checked up Dad told us he only got two months to live as it already spread in Dad's whole system. It's very sad for me but what makes it even sadder?

This whole bullsh*t thing that Mom is breaking up with him! Like, what's with Mom? Hindi man lang ba niya iisipin ang sitwasyon ni Dad kahit nalang sana as part of his life until his last breath?

Alam ko sa sarili ko that Mom is up to something fishy. She's actually the University of Surigao's President from her homeland. Before, though she's busy, nakabibigay pa rin siya ng time sa amin. It's just that lately, parang may itinatago siya sa amin and maybe today, malalaman ko na kung ano iyon. From having someone na laging kausap sa phone, Mom seems happy but I don't know why. At this moment, I'm just hoping they'll make it okay dahil ayoko na maghiwalay sila. I always wanted us perfectly together just like what we were before.

"I'm in love with someone else, Lucio," Mom answered.

Upon hearing those words, it left me motionless. I just don't know what to do and say. But in my mind, I wanna stop Mom from saying such things especially now that Dad is not feeling well.

Ang sakit lang sa part na buong buhay ni Dad, he's doing his best to make Mom be satisfied at everything. Iyon din ang gusto ko 'cause I considered myself perfectionist, something I also want to have everything pero dapat swak sa taste ko. But now, I'm guilty about it.

"You're joking, Marlene. Please, huwag ngayon," Dad pleaded while hugging Mom.

Mom is pushing him away. That's when it was time for me to enter the situation.

"Mom! Stop!" I shouted and helped Dad stand up.

I felt bad for Dad dahil sa sobrang pagmamahal kay Mom tapos sa huli pala'y kamumuhian siya nito.

"Isa ka pa! I've told you before not to mess with us! It's our business to mind! Not yours!" she shouted back at me.

"Because you're wrong, Mom! I bet you knew that since you had the highest position in your prestigious school. And you called it a business? Mom, it's a family thing! Something to be solved seriously!"

"Well, I don't care about this family now! I'm already fed up! Tapos ngayon, your Dad needs medical help and it'll be disturbing!"

Sh*t! How could she even say that in front of Dad who's now crying? Ang sakit palang makita na one of your parents is in pain. Gusto ko ring maiyak but I should stay brave so Mom won't win over her desire to leave us.

"Mom, can't you see? It's Dad and for Pete's sake, he's your husband! The one whom you took vows with and a promise of forever! Don't you love him anymore?"

Mom stared at me with an expression of hatred. "I never loved your Dad."

"What?!"

Okay, I can't take it anymore. Suddenly, I felt Dad's cold hand in my chest, wrapping my shirt. I looked at him and he's in pain. His one hand was on his head and I think he's suffering from a twinge of headache.

I was startled 'cause I don't know what to do! But I hold Dad's body to support him.

I looked at him and at Mom. "Mom! Call an ambulance!"