Chapter 13 - Dona is a Liar

Before going to school, I bought lovely flowers for Dona. Today is my plan of asking her formally about courting her. Nais ko ring makita ang pamilya niya sa Dinagat Islands para makausap ko ang Ina niya. My feelings for Dona are sincere and I really love her. I'm hoping it will last a lifetime.

I was in the corridor of the school and texted Dona that we should meet at the rooftop. She replied with a yes.

I just felt so excited because I'm eager to have her heart forever.

Bago ako tumuloy, may nahagilap akong magazine na gawa mismo ng school. It's published last year, I think. It caught my attention when I saw Dona's face on the cover page with a headline 'Dona Olarte, US pride to bring home the bacon and bags gold medal award from National Essay Writing Contest'.

I decided to read what's about it. It's really an essay writing contest in English medium held at Agusan del Norte.

I've read some lines from her piece, "One of us can fail. One of us can hurt someone we love. Lies cannot be refused when mistakes lie ahead. Shallow judgment is deepening someone's fault. Narrow reason is lessening wings to fly. What are we waking up to every morning? How can this word 'hope' mend our pain and suffering? Remember that life's journey begins when our mind fertilizes what we are carving for."

Right now, I can't believe what I'm seeing. It's well-written in English. Dona could write too well in English but can't understand it? Wait, maybe she's crazy? Or just too wise?

She had told me she could not understand English and I believed her. I know she won't lie to me but what's this I'm seeing right now? What the hell is Dona up to? There's one way to find out, I'll confront her about it.

I left the flowers in the corridor.

While waiting for her at the rooftop, I'm flooded with thoughts. I realized I haven't done any research about Dona because I was just hypnotized by her innocent charm. But I prayed she's not lying to me at all. Cause if she did, I won't really forgive her.

"Chad!" Dona called me and she's brightly smiling. "Sorry kung na-late ako ng kaunti. Inutusan pa kasi ako ni Mrs. Velco na bumili ng snacks niya."

I stared at her for a moment until she got closer to me.

"Ano pa lang sasabihin mo? Ito naman, na-miss ako kaagad. Pero ako, sobrang na-miss kita, Chad. Hindi pa rin talaga ako makapaniwala," and she laughed.

"Ako rin, sobrang hindi makapaniwala."

"Talaga, Chad? Ikaw talaga, lalo mo akong pinapahulog sa'yo."

"Can we talk in English?" I said with no emotion.

She stopped laughing. "Hah? Naku, gusto mo na namang pagtawanan ako, no?"

"Hindi talaga ako makapaniwala," I stated as I took the magazine and threw it near her feet.

She picked it up and her jaw dropped.

"You think I won't discover the truth?!" I shouted. I'm now feeling mad 'cause it seems she really lied from the first time we met.

She shook her head. "Chad... Hindi ako 'to.. ano..ano lang ...ahh...---"

"Stop! Lumabas din ang totoo base sa ikinikilos mo!" paglabas ko ng galit.

Unti-unti siyang lumapit sa'kin. "Chad..please...ahhh...kasi...---"

"Ngayon, tatanungin kita and I don't want you to lie. Have you ever been sincere to me?" I asked as I cut her words.

She covered her face with her palm. "Chad, I'm sorry but I can explain..."

"Wow, so you're really good at English... Of course, there's even a proof for that! You won the National Literature's Essay Writing Contest! I bet your mind really did a great job! Excellent!"