Chapter 9 - The Colorful Themes

"Magandang umaga po. Nandito po ba si Dona?" I asked the landlady of Dona's boardinghouse. I've been looking for her everywhere in the school since eight in the morning but haven't found her.

"Dona? Nagtrabaho yata iyon," she answered and she's already familiar to me.

"Saan po?" I asked.

When she gave me the address, I hurriedly went to the place. But it wasn't easy 'cause I'm not yet familiar with this place. I've been asking people whom I think know the exact address. There's one guy who showed me the way. It's a bakery shop.

There's lot of people buying and eating bread. I've tried searching for Dona and I saw her in a white plain t-shirt with black jeans and hair net. I tried hiding myself so she would not see me. I'm just planning to follow her today.

By watching her, I saw leche flan girl talking to Dona and she's shouting at her. She handed Dona a plastic of flour and pushed her inside. That leche flan girl is the real bad witch! How could she even treat Dona that way? Is being nice so hard to practice these days? Kahit man lang sana maging mabait siya kahit kunti kay Dona.

The scorching sun is hitting me already but I'll take it as long as I won't get my sight out of Dona. It could also be one of my ways to find out her real personality.

I've been curious about Dona since the day we've been together on Mabua Pebble Beach. Even myself, I'm doubting it already because of what's happening to me recently. I should be making some plans now for Mom and Gilbert. What the heck am I even doing here watching Dona? Arrrgghhh, I just want to.

It's almost noon, I was about to leave Dona when I saw her going outside and riding a tricycle. I followed her again. Saan na naman kaya siya pupunta? Half-day lang pala siya sa bake shop na pag-aari ng leche flan girl na 'yon.

Dona went inside a fancy restaurant. Maybe, it's her next job. I went inside but kept hiding myself. The waitress approached me and asked for my order. I just ordered desserts to not make anyone around me wonder.

I looked for Dona, there, I saw her with another color of shirt. She's now wearing a plain red shirt. I checked my watch and it's past twelve. For sure, Dona hasn't taken her lunch yet. Shall I ask her to eat with me?

She's now serving food to customers. One guy asked her to bring his orders on their table. They are a bunch of bad guys, I think.

When Dona is delivering the food, she suddenly loses her balance so the food is wasted. The guy who ordered it pushed Dona that made her down to her knees and his companions sarcastically laughed.

I was determined to stop them but the manager took the place of asking sorry for what happened. For sure, Dona is messed up today.

After that incident, Dona went back to work but stayed on the serving lane. And I'm still here hiding my face while watching her.

It's past three in the afternoon when I decided to go outside as customers are leaving already. I should just wait for her and follow her next destination.

When she's out, she waited for a tricycle. I would love to offer her a ride pero may napara na siyang tricycle. Again, I just followed her.

This time, it's a big house. Naalala kong hindi pa pala nakakapag-lunch si Dona. Hindi ba siya nagugutom? I remembered what she said last time that sometimes, she's not eating anymore. Gosh, I can't take that if I'm in her situation. I would die, for sure.

I cannot clearly watch Dona now dahil sa gate at baka mapagkamalan akong magnanakaw. I've decided to just stay where I am and suddenly I hear a splash of water and a sound of washing machine. I guess Dona is doing the laundry today. Is she always like this? Ganito nga siguro ang buhay kapag sariling sikap ang paraan para umunlad sa buhay. I'm feeling sad right now. All my life, I've been living a pleasant life but I realized there's people out there who deserve it more.